1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cutting chicken's Toenails

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Haley Clark, May 19, 2013.

1. Haley Clark

Haley Clark Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Western North Carolina
    This isn't an emergency, but my hen's toenails are way too long and one is bent back and looks like it is broken. How do ou trim their nails, with what kind of tool, and how short?
    Thanks!

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Have you ever trimmed a dog's nails? It is basically the same thing. I just use a dog nail clipper. It has same quick inside that will bleed if nicked so you only want to do a little at a time at a slight angle with growth of the nail. You can do a little more every few days, to give the quick time ti recede, until they are a manageable length.

3. Haley Clark

Mar 2, 2013
    Western North Carolina
    Ok I don't have dog nail clippers but I have goat hoove trimmers which are basically the same thing.. About how long should a grown hens toenails be?

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I trim my birds nails with large human toe nail trimmers. use your judgement on how short but be careful as they have a quick and if you cut into it you will make them bleed. when I trim my girls I do it in very small increments at a time. you can usually see the quick it looks like a vein that runs down the middle of the nail. just start out trimming small portions at a time keeping an eye out for the quick. hope this helps you out. best wishes.

5. Haley Clark

Mar 2, 2013
    Western North Carolina
    Ok I think I will use large toenail clippers and try that

6. StephieSky

StephieSky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2013
    My favorelles has the longest toenails. One of her back toenails even curled into the meat of her toe in a complete circle. I took her to a vet because it was pretty gruesome looking.

He gave me these. They work great. I just turn my hen over on her back on my lap and let her rest her foot so the toes stick out between my fingers and snip them off a bit. I'm supposed to trim what he didn't an 1/8th to 1/4 inch or so every weekend until they're down to normal length. My hens are so bad they had grown out twisted.

[​IMG]

These are the feet I'm fixing. They're pretty sad. She has a lot of problems from being neglected. I'm working on them and now that she's here with us I'm sure she'll get better with time and care. :)

[​IMG]

7. Haley Clark

Mar 2, 2013
    Western North Carolina
    Ok I noticed on your pics how her legs looked, and that's what my hens legs and feet look like. What are you putting on them to heal that?

8. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    That looks like it might be scaly leg mites. Search the threads to double check but I believe you need to use vaseline.

9. bantyhen

bantyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    North Carolina
    My hen's legs look about the same way. They used to be so bad that the skin of her feet were showing. I put mineral oil on her feet. It really helps. Her scales are growing back. Put it on her feet once every other day. I don't know whether my hen has scaly leg or if it's something else, but with patience, the mineral oil works. Be sure to put it on her feet only. She will probably peck at it a little. She might drink a tiny bit of it, too. That's OK. Just don't feed it to her.

10. StephieSky

StephieSky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by