Cutting Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krista74, Aug 29, 2014.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Greetings!

I have a chicken with a very poopy butt. I don't think she is sick at all, and she (like the others) has been wormed. I suspect she just stands funny when she poops, and since she is very fluffy back there, it just 'gets stuck' to her.

Anyway, I'm going to cut some of her butt feathers away to 'clear a path' for her - so to speak.

Is it safe for me to just chop away at them until it's all gone, or is there a technique to it? I have heard that some feathers bleed, and don't want to hurt her.

Thanks for any tips/advice. Hubby is going to be delighted I am bringing him in on this to hold her down for me, ha ha!

- Krista

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    What breed is it? It's fine to cut feathers around the vent and I did it when I had a Silkie that had a problem. Breeders do it to the hen to up the chance of breeding and it doesn't harm them. If your worried about bloody pinfeathers then check for quills that have red in them (most of the time they're clear) it's honestly more bloody when someone snips too close to the quick or when dubbed or when the spur is removed.

3. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    She's a Rhode Island Red. One of four, and the other three are all fine.

I also have 2 Buff Orpingtons who are pretty darn fluffy, but they manage to keep themselves clean too.

It's just her that's dirty. Naughty bird!

- Krista

4. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Well, I've done it. I just removed all the dags that were hanging from her, and cut back the fuzzies a bit to clear a path for her to poop, and it looks so much better.

At one point, hubby (being helpful) said "She just flinched, you've cut her!" but when we looked at the feathers I have cut about 1cm from the skin, so I think she was just antsy!

Thanks for your help,

Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by