cutting hens toenails??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tuffy, May 15, 2009.

1. tuffy

tuffy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I just noticed one of my hens has very long toenails. Should I be cutting them? I have 16 hens and a rooster. They all free range during the day and not all of them have nails that long (1 inch) Do they have a quik like a dog? Thanks

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    yes, you should cut them.. Use a dog nail clipper, and yes they do have a quick. If you hit the quick, they will squawk a lot and it will bleed, but it won't hurt them too bad.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    If you happen to cut to the quick and they do bleed you can dab cornstarch on the area and it should stop the bleeding. If you don't cut their toenails their feet and nails can become deformed and cause problems for them.

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Shouldn't their scratching wear off their nails enough? I have never had a chickens nails get to long. Just curious thanks. [​IMG]

5. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    Maybe she isnt a huge digger? maybe the earth she is digging is too soft? maybe she has extra strong nails for some reason so do not wear down as easily as the others....

6. swedishfish

swedishfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    so how far back do you cut the nails? I don't have a dog nail clipper either (never clipped my dogs nails - didn't know you were supposed to) so what should I do?

7. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    just snip a tiny bit off until you see a small dot in the center of the nail- this is usually the tip of the quick.

If you cut too much it will bleed- press cornstarch into it and then use the nail you cut too short as a guide for the other nails!

I am a dog groomer so I usually just sense where it is and snip- rarely do I have an accident

[​IMG] GOOD LUCK!!!! make sure someones holding the bird still!

Last edited: May 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by