Cutting metal siding ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blurose, Aug 20, 2008.

1. blurose

blurose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Winston, Oregon
    What is the best way to cut a hole in the side of a metal shed, for a window? Can I use a jig saw? What blade should I use if I do? I've only ever used a jig saw to cut wood before.

2. sticks22

sticks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Grove, oklahoma
    I would use an angle grinder with a thin metal cutting blade. I had to cut a piece of corrogated tin and I did a good job cutting it using the same method!

3. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Yes you can use a jig saw, usually something like a 22 teeth per inch blade work.

Cutting metal with a blade, it works best of you can have at least two blades fit into the thickness of the metal.

With a jig saw you need to support the metal close to where you are cutting it.

Tom

4. RiverwoodChicks

RiverwoodChicks New Egg

Jul 20, 2008
    You can use a Skill saw, just turn the blade around. You won't get all that vibration like you would with the jig saw.

5. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    a real good pair of sharp tin snips will cut it also

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Or, if you don't like noise (oh my GOSH the noise) and sparks, just use heavy duty tin snips. Your regular ones may or may not work depending on the metal gauge, but if they don't you can buy great big ones for like $20-30 that are handy to have around anyhow.

Start at the edge of a panel of tin (take out a screw or two to give you leeway to start) then go around the whole hole in the correct direction (that is, remember that tin snips cut real well in one direction but crappily in the other). Then cover the sharp edges with flashing or wood trim.

Have fun (oh ok, "fun" is not really the right term for putting windows in metal siding, sorry [​IMG]),

Pat

7. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:Tried and true method for us!

We just turn the blade backwards on the circular saw and away we go!

I have no idea why it works, but it does!

8. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    You can use a Jig saw, but don't skimp on price for the blade. If it is heavy gauge metal barn type siding you will go through several blades in the process if you go cheap. Turning the blade around on a circular saw works fine. But they make a metal cutting blade for a circular saw that is very cheap, I paid 4.99 for my last one at Menards. You can get them at any home improvement store. They cut better and cleaner than turning a regular blade around, and they are safer when plunge cutting a window opening. I use them often when building my pole buildings and metal projects.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  9. blurose

blurose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Winston, Oregon
    I have a circular saw and tinsnips and like both of those ideas. I'm not looking forward to the vibration or tremendous sparks so will probably get DS to try the tinsnips first. Thanks to all.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    We used the power saw with blade turned around...works well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by