Cutting out the water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by needlessjunk, Aug 11, 2014.

1. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Crowing

May 19, 2014
    Georgetown, TX
    Right now I am letting my 3 week old babies out during the day in a temp run with a tub full of water. They love it and I'm happy they are outside now at least during the day when I'm home. I'm starting on their house and wasn't planning on keeping water or food in there. After reading some posts I'm wondering at what age is that appropriate?

2. CHICKLOVER69

CHICKLOVER69 Chirping

Jul 13, 2014
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    you'll get it both ways on here. I just researched all that the other day. Some like inside, some outside and some both. Still building my coop too. Something one person said made sense to me. They sleep and lay eggs in the coop. When they go in for the night, they should go on the roost till morning. My coop is 4x8 and I have 9 chicks. Should have made it a bit larger. All pullets I hope. Need the extra space in the coop so dont want a feeder or waterer taking up space. If I do put them in later, I will make pvc pipe feeder and waterer with filling access from the outside

3. Most here recommend keeping food and water available for the first 8 weeks of life. After that, only providing food and water during the day.

Coop maintenance is much easier and the Ducks stay cleaner in general by keeping the messy things out of water/food/mud at night lol.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Then there is the watering station. This serves ten ducks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I keep it in for at least 6wks.... rapid growth means they need the feed and because ducks MUST have water with feed, it joins for the ride.. yeah, it's a mess.. yep! i usually raise the waterer as soon as i can to reduce a bit of it, i also often stick small waterers in bowls too.

Now their is an option of a waterer here in this sticky i used it with my Pekin.. it works, useful for larger waterfowl who need larger water amounts.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

6. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Crowing

May 19, 2014
    Georgetown, TX
    Right now I have a milk jug with a hole cut out sitting in a pan and it works pretty well. The first few days were rough when it came To keeping the brooder dry. There was lots of trial and error. But now it's not bad and they are now spending almost all day out and just coming in at night so that really helps a lot. I notice they eat quite a bit at night but they are babies. So I guess plan on keeping water and food in their house at night as soon as it is done for a few more weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by