Cutting roosters spurs.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bledsoe95, Jan 9, 2011.

1. bledsoe95

bledsoe95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    Oakwood, Virginia
    My roosters spurs were about 2in. long so i decided to cut them an he was bleeding pretty badly and i need to know what i did wrong and ome advice for next time. Ai used a small saw to cut them off with.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    My favorite link to removing rooster spurs.

Good luck.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Honestly a rooster's spurs should NOT be cut but instead twisted off like shown in the video, and even then, you shouldn't remove them unless it is absolutely necessary. I have over 20 cockerels who are getting to the length of over 1 inch, and I haven't thought once yet to remove them.

4. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    I followed the directions I found on BYC in order to twist my rooster's 2" spurs off.

For a year I just used dog clippers to nip off the sharp bit at the tip of his spurs, then filed the rough edges. Then around Thanksgiving his spurs made a huge gash on the side of his favorite hen. I went out that night and took off his spurs. They are hard again, and not nearly as long or sharp now. Definitely no big deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by