Cutting the apron strings - moving from brooder to coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stinkyshermy, Aug 20, 2016.

1. stinkyshermy

stinkyshermy Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    San Diego
    We have our first set of chicks which are just about ready to ditch the brooder and head outside full time (6-7 weeks).

Currently our five chicks are outside from 7:00am-7:30pm. At 7:30pm, as the sunsets, they start their distress call, instead of heading up to the roost area to sleep. They are SO loud!

How do I move them towards a happy life in their hen house without their panicked calls?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If there are no adult chickens involved, just move them in to the coop and open the run to them. They will adjust faster than you would think.

If there are adults in the flock with which they need to share the coop and run, then I advise use of a panic room set-up to maximize their safety and self confidence.

Since your information is sketchy, I will just direct you to read the article I wrote on outdoor brooding linked below this post. It describes the panic room method in case you need it.

4. stinkyshermy

stinkyshermy Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    San Diego
    They are our only chickens, and already feel very at home in the coop/run.....until sunset when they have a minor panic attack and start their distress calls.

I was hoping there might be some advice for helping them not freak out (or at least help make them a bit quieter so our nighbors dont hate us) on their first few nights in their hen house as their time is quickly approaching.

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Try putting a light in the coop. I used a cheap $2 solar light, it slowly runs down during the night and turns off itself but they are all settled and asleep by then. It also helps them learn where bed is as they will go to the light when it gets dark. I just put it out in the sun during the day to charge and put it in the coop a couple hours before it got dark. After a week or two you won't need it any more.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Here's the way to make them feel at home in their coop. Bring them out early in the day and set them up inside the coop. Place food and water so they can find it easily. Make sure there's plenty of ventilation so they don't over-heat. Then close the coop and let them explore the inside.

By the time it begins to get dark, they should be feeling very comfortable in the coop, and they will find a spot to huddle together and go to sleep with very little fuss. If you put a very dim night light or even turn on a mini-flashlight, they will be reassured that their surroundings don't harbor any scary boogie-monsters in the dark corners of their coop.

In the morning, let them out in to the run. You may need to show them how to go inside the coop on the second night, but they should be used to the inside of the coop, at least.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by