Cutting Toe Nails

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lipkis, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Lipkis

Lipkis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    We have three pullets.

One of our little girls has very long middle toenails. And my mom and I were wondering if we should clip them or not? And if we do then how much do we cut them? Should we just leave their nails?

Please help us out thank you very much!

2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Only clip a little at a time and allow the blood to recede before clipping again.
    You should be able to see what's pink and what's not.

3. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    I would also go to the pet store and get some blood stop, just incase you get blood. I accidently clipped to far last week on one of mine and it was squirting out. That HAD to have blood stop. :mad: Don't let that scare you, just get some blood stop before you clip.

4. Lipkis

Apr 8, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Oh thank you. So just a tiny clip around the tip is okay?

5. Cocky

Cocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    Why would you clip it's toenails in the first place....I don't see the purpose....not being facesious I just dont understand why you would clip it...

6. Lipkis

Apr 8, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Because her toenails are super long.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you use some dog nail clippers, just clip a tiny tiny bit off the ends. If your hen has white nails, shine a light though it to see where the vein is.

Some birds, especially those on deep litter or caged for show, can grow very long nails because they do not scratch in harsh dirts and rocks enough to wear them down naturally.

One "natural" way to encourage the birds to wear down their nails is to get a concrete slab and toss some bird seed or scratch on it. This way the birds will scratch at the ground and file away the tips of their nails.

My birds scratch so much on the gravel to turn up bugs, their nails are so short you can see where the quick is receding on the ends of some of the hardest scratchers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by