Cutting up food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jenesis536, Jan 31, 2011.

1. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    When giving the chickens scraps or stuff from the garden, how small do I need to cut stuff up? Yesterday I gave them some apple, leftover meat, greens from the garden, etc. but I was chopping it up in really small pieces for them...

What do you all do? It's kind of time-consuming to prepare the scraps every day, so if I can get away doing larger pieces it would sure help, but I don't want them choking on stuff either or not eating it because it's too big.

Thanks!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I have not found they need stuff to be cut up for them - they're pretty good at tearing it up themselves. Even my month-old chicks, when I throw an apple core into them, will have a fun time as one will pick it up and look for a private place to eat it while all the others take chase. As one "steals" it from the beak of the first, a little is torn off and so it goes. When we make salad, we throw them the seed part of peppers, the thick stems of lettuce leaves and so on - it all disappears rather rapidly.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I feed mine whole watermelons, there is no need to chop anything up. They will eat it, don't worry.

4. jenesis536

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    What about meat? Like the fat parts of a steak?

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I found that it is a good idea to make sure stuff is either too big to choke them or too small to choke them. Stuff that is "just right" will get part way down a greedy gullet .

6. jenesis536

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    That makes sense - thanks for the replies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by