CX roo is breeding... Worth keeping him?

Amandakae

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2015
Hi, we had a few chickens that got stunted while young and we are ready to butcher them now, but one of the roosters has started mating with my hens. My question is, if a Cornish Cross mates with a black Moran or Rhode Island red, will the resulting chicks be dual purpose or fast growing meet chicks? I really do not want chicks that grow slowly.

Also, I have noticed that my hens are losing feathers on their backs. Could this be from our regular rooster being too rough? It's not from the Cornish Cross because he just now started mating them and this has been going on for a little while. I will try to get pics asap

Cornish cross aren't bred to have a long life. I'm afraid if you keep him, he'll develop health problems that would result in him dying anyway. Since they are a hybrid, I'm not sure how a chick from a Cornish cross and a laying hen would grow.

Depending on how old your hens are, the baldness on their backs could be from molting.

bobbi, she's not keeping him, she wanted to know what the chicks would be like.

I'm sure the chicks will not be fast-growing but it'd be interesting what you would get.
Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom