Cycle of life....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckyfromoz, Jul 11, 2010.

1. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Today I was so busy watching the new babies hatch- I didnt notice one of my adults died sometime this morning. She was one of the first out the door when I let them out of the night pen- and looked fine- but when I went out to give them a lunch time feed- she was nowhere to be seen- I checked a few nesting spots- as over the last few days she has been exhibiting broody behaviour- but found her lifeless body beside the water containers.
    I have only lost three adult ducks in over 10 years and it has come as such a shock. But the cycle of life continues- I put some of more eggs into the incubator just now- hoping to hatch just a few more of her offspring as a legacy to her short life. She wasnt even a year old. [​IMG] I think she may have been egg bound- as she had laid a few huge eggs over the last few days- I will take her up to my block of land in the country tomorrow to bury her.

In this picture she is the lighter coloured duck facing the opposite way to the others. Photo taken the day she arrived at my house.

[​IMG]

Edited to correct spelling...hard to see the mistakes through the tears....

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry for your loss, but congrats on the new babies.

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    That must have been a shock! Nothing other than a few large eggs as a warning that something was wrong? So sorry for your loss [​IMG] Hope one of the new babies looks like momma [​IMG]

4. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    She was a beauty

5. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i'm sorry [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Thank you all for your works of kindness. Now that I am a little over the shock- I had a better look at her and found that she was egg bound and very bruised around the vent. I was about to reduce the numbers of my flock this weekend- so I have room for some of the younger ones growing- But she was one I had planned on keeping. I will be keeping a few of her babies- and hope that maybe one of them will have her lovely temperament.

7. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    [​IMG]

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I feel the love... Lovesduckies.. You know what my duckies mean to me...Thanks for the double hug!! After more thought about the whole thing- it may have been a spider bite!! I was cleaning up around the back of the shed a few days ago- and found a heap of red back spiders in amongst the rubbish I cleared away. I may have left a few angry ones homeless.. It could explain why it was so sudden. It was in the area I was cleaning up that I found her. I have been out and sprayed the whole area now- so hopefully there are no spiders left now.

9. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Oh very sorry for your loss, she was lovely.

10. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Aww Hon, I'm so sorry about your beautiful girl :-( I hope you get many of her babies to hatch.
    Hugs
    Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by