Cydectin pour on

Tj11

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 6, 2012
Hi can anyone help me with the use of cydectin pour on with chooks. I've done all my chooks 3 or 4 drops on the back of the neck but I'm still finding lice on some of my chooks so I'm still having to dust them. Does anyone have any experience with this product or any advice? Thanks in advance.

Though this is a fairly old post, for Information, - Cydectrin is actually a totally different chemical to Ivermectin. Cydectin is Moxidectin. The cattle pourons have a 5 week withholding for meat with the Ivermectin, the Cydectin has zero milk and meat withholding, for cattle. I use Cydectin cattle pouron with great success. The rates (in Australia) are 1 ml / 10 kg for cattle. Using a small diabetic syringe (with the needle broken off and safely disposed of, ) or a 2 1/2 ml syringe, apply to the skin (not the feathers) between the shoulders of your chook. I have trialled on sacrificial roosters up to 2 ml and no ill effects. So if you use at the same rate as cattle, a 5 kg chicken can have .5 ml (half a ml). This will delouse demite and deworm your chickens effectively and safely. Though off label Cydectin Pouron is an accepted and widely used med for poultry and caged birds. If you are not sure best to test on a weighed sacrificial rooster. I have also used on young chickens and not killed any chooks yet with it.

Though this is a fairly old post, for Information, - Cydectrin is actually a totally different chemical to Ivermectin. Cydectin is Moxidectin. The cattle pourons have a 5 week withholding for meat with the Ivermectin, the Cydectin has zero milk and meat withholding, for cattle. I use Cydectin cattle pouron with great success. The rates (in Australia) are 1 ml / 10 kg for cattle. Using a small diabetic syringe (with the needle broken off and safely disposed of, ) or a 2 1/2 ml syringe, apply to the skin (not the feathers) between the shoulders of your chook. I have trialled on sacrificial roosters up to 2 ml and no ill effects. So if you use at the same rate as cattle, a 5 kg chicken can have .5 ml (half a ml). This will delouse demite and deworm your chickens effectively and safely. Though off label Cydectin Pouron is an accepted and widely used med for poultry and caged birds. If you are not sure best to test on a weighed sacrificial rooster. I have also used on young chickens and not killed any chooks yet with it.

I'm not familiar with the cydectin you're using, but you may have better luck with the poultry dust Permethrin. I picked some up for about $8. I think this is supposed to be a good all over insecticide. As is seven dust. Some people recommend bathing their chickens with flea/tick shampoo and/or dawn dish soap (we use this in rescue to kill fleas) and then treating with dust.

There's also ivermectin. Treats mites as well as worms. Probably good for lice, too. I'm not really sure as we haven't yet encountered the problem.

You'll need to treat your coop for lice as well. HTH and good luck

Thanks for your reply. Cydectin is the same as ivermectin just a different brand.The poultry dusting I've been using has worked really well it was just a bugger to buy cydectin which is expensive and then still have to dust anyway. My flock free ranges and we have heaps of wild birds about so I suppose it's to be expected. We have 70 chooks and its only the two isa brown though that have been had any lice on them which is strange.

Thanks for your reply. Cydectin is the same as ivermectin just a different brand.The poultry dusting I've been using has worked really well it was just a bugger to buy cydectin which is expensive and then still have to dust anyway. My flock free ranges and we have heaps of wild birds about so I suppose it's to be expected. We have 70 chooks and its only the two isa brown though that have been had any lice on them which is strange.

From memory, I read somewhere that the dosage is .5ml per kg of bird (don't quote me on that though). What you can quote me on though is that it needs to go on their skin, not the feathers. For my chickens, I put .5ml under each wing as a full ml for a 2kg bird will just run off. I imagine that would give better coverage if it's on both sides of the bird too.

With the Cydectin Pour on is that given oral or on the skin to treat internal worms? I use it orally for goats and it is great. Now I am having a worm problem in my chickens... I was going to do as explained... try it on a sacrificial rooster. If you are giving it orally how much and is there a follow up rate? Do you withhold on the eggs. I have over 100 chickens and that sure would be a LOT of eggs to hold out. Thanks in advance

Hi, The rate I stated as above- I use at the same rate as for cattle, .5 ml per 5 kg, or 1 ml per 10 kg. On the skin on the back, NOT orally. and NOT on the feathers. It needs to be absorbed through the skin. That is how it works. As for withholding on egg layers, it is used by a lot of people on poultry including layers but is 'off label', that is it is not officially stated used for chooks. As it has no withholding time for milk and meat in cattle one may assume it is okay for eating eggs from poultry. It is up to you. We have not died yet. As for frequency of use I would follow same guidelines for cattle, ie Do not use it more often than 45 days. It does have a residual up to 45 days. I use the stuff on them at night with them on their perches. I use the red light cap lamp that way I can see but the chooks cannot. Mine are quiet and if I speak to them as I go along they sit quietly while I part the feathers on their backs and squirt a dose on the skin.. It can be done fairly quickly esp with a helper. Good luck.

Thank you so much. I am using Cydectin orally for goats right now with worms and it works great but was not certain how it would work for Chickens. I have a terrible infestation right now. We live in Alabama and this summer has been hot and humid and the parasites are having a field day. I will get out there tonight and take care of them.

Back
Top Bottom