Cyn....I have a roo in pullets clothing too

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Katy, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

This morning it's so nice out and the grandbaby is sleeping, so I decided to go out to visit the girls and guys. I've got some chicks going on 12 weeks. I knew all along that this one "pullet" was a BR/Marans cross because she has yellow legs...any hoo...this morning all of a sudden I realize "she's" getting saddle feathers!! The other day I thought her legs were sure looking a little roostery, but then didn't think much more about it. His comb isn't developing yet so I guess we'll see what happens with him. His coloring looks like a pullets too.

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I have learned "Don't count your pullets before they lay". I have seperated my birds at about 20 weeks the last two years and end up with one or two of them that start crowing about three weeks later.

They are late bloomers. I have noticed with my ameraucanas that they usually end up being some of the best for breeding as the combs usually stay small and the general appearance of these birds is good. The fertility has been good also.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I feel for you, Katy. Some are just sneaky little critters, aren't they?

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think he found out that I was taking the other little roos to the poultry auction a couple of weeks ago!!

5. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Quote:He needed just a few more weeks to get on your good side! [​IMG]

I think I have one too. They are just now 6 weeks and the 2 girls are getting wattles and larger combs....but they ARE girls! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by