Cynthia eggs update

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
Update Thanksgiving morning: Out of Caroline eggs, except for an infertile one, I got 100%. The last one was so huge, it just couldn't move. It pipped, not breaking the shell, so I made a hole there, and waited 6 hours, then I started picking away. Those Caroline chicks are huge, and the membrane is like so tough I had problems getting thru it.
I know I have a Silver egg, and some one else (?). One Charlotte is still in the bator. I candled it, the egg is full, good air pocket, can't see any movement. So I put my stethoscope to it, and "thought" I heard a heartbeat (maybe it was my thumb) so I put it back.
My polish, out of 4 I got one. That fluid sac seems to be going away.
I have 6 silkies to hatch tomorrow.
I am amazed how close together they hatch, all within 12 hours of eachother. So that's the update. I am crossing my fingers for tomorrow. Karen

Hi, Karen. Great job! Sounds like you have one each of Silver's and Charlotte's. The one remaining of Charlotte's may need help-I have lost two because the chicks were too large to turn and pip and ran out of air. I'd pip the aircell on that one, if you are inclined to help, just to see. I had to help the one that hatched yesterday, too. Some of Charlotte's and all of Silver's do really well. I've only seen this problem with Charlotte's. The chicks are very healthy, just large for the egg size.

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

YAY SEMINOLE

Hatch, Hatch SeminoleWind.
Hatch Like Your Bever Gonna Hatch Again.

D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

Hi, well I pipped the egg. There had never been any movement or sound noted. The chick was not alive, it had absorbed the yolk, was fully formed , beak in the air cell, all ready to go, but......I could cry. I think after the eggs I physically have now, I will take a break-could be a long one. Karen

Karen, you did really well with this first batch! See, that's what I've been seeing in some of Charlotte's chicks lately and it's hard to know exactly when to intervene with those. BUT, you had a wonderful hatch! Concentrate on the babies you have and we'll all be expecting pictures soon!

Quote:
Thanks, Purple Chicken, you are such a poet!!! Karen

That was a complete theft of the John Anderson song "Seminole Wind", one
of my most favorite country songs ever.

I'm sorry to hear you lost the chick. Even unhatched chicks really
pull on your heartstrings. I'm thankful for this post. I have 2 of Charlotte's
eggs too, both at day 21. I'm gonna give them an airhole right now.
Your loss may help 2 others. I'll make you their GodMother.
hugs.gif

Don

Last edited:
Purple Chicken, how touching! Me, a godmother! Let me know how the Charlotte chicks do. I have seven silver and gray chicks, 3 look like americaunas, 4 look like Caroline/Suedes. I will not name them until I can tell them apart. Karen

Back
Top Bottom