Cynthia & Julie I finally candled last night!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by herechickchick, Feb 27, 2008.

1. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    It is almost day 14 and I finally candled for the first time last night (I have been to busy playing with the new babies.). Sorry I forgot to tell you I candled but I cant remember what I had. [​IMG]
    I know Meg and Becca's eggs were a no go. All of the RIR eggs are good. All of velvets are good and some of Skye's are as well but that is all I can remember. I will check when I get home. Oh Lexie's egg was no good and it was seeping, just a little pin hole.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Too strange! That's the second one of Lexie's that had a pinhole in the bottom. I found mine and dipped it in wax and it hatched, though. Let us know what's going on when you get home! Wait, didn't you just hatch my eggs? I'm confused now, LOL.

3. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Yes I did and this is my second batch! I know I am crazy! I still have to take photos of my new little peeps. My blue orpington (which is blue not splash) is little. The BR towers over him/her. The amer. are feathering out fast, is that a good girl sign?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  4. speckledhen

Don't trust the fast feathering in Ameraucanas. In Orps, yes, but I've never been able to tell that way with Ameraucanas. The girls and boys seem pretty even in that regard.

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Did I just send RIR's. I can't remember. I don't Meg and becca. Hope you get a good hatch. Mine went terrible this week.

6. speckledhen

I sent Adam an egg from each of those girls, Julie. Meg and Becca are two of my ladies. Wasn't sure if either was fertile, but I couldn't get enough Orp eggs for a dozen for him.

7. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Julie you sent Blue orpingtons, Mottled Orpingtons and RIRs. and I haven't checked yet to see what I have left in the bator. I am sorry your hatch did not go well I know the feeling. My last hatch was my most successful after 3 VERY bad hatches.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Julie, the chicks have hatched and at least three or four more eggs should hatch unless some of them are already dead.

Heres the scoop:

Got 4 buffs, 4 SPO, 3 MO and 1 RIR....man I was hoping for more RIRs but heck those Orps are BIG! Got more splashes than blues and blacks.

I gotta sign up for those RIR once they are doing ok in incubation later date. But the success of getting all those Orps, I am pleased as punch!

Getting the batteries recharged now, and hope to get some pics!

9. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Wow, Ewe, that is great. I hatched four RIR's out of 13 that should have hatched. They are awesome in color. They are for a friend. I had one Orp hatch and I helped it. It had stayed in the egg to long and caused a leg problem. I culled it tonite before the garbage runs tomorrow. I one little lone silkie chick from Lydia. A blue. It has a good vaulted skull.
    Adam I will take some pics in the morn of the RIR's so you can see what to expect.
    Ewe I am looking for pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by