1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cyst like infection on chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amer1, Jun 25, 2016.

1. amer1

amer1 New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Any idea what this is and how to treat it?

[​IMG]

2. amer1

amer1 New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Anyone?

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Where is this on this bird?? Hard to tell from the picture. I have never seen anything like it. BUT..I do know that you can't just lop that off without a LOT of bleeding. Something that big, if it was infected might have killed the bird by now. That thing appears to be tumor like, not an infection.

I would take this bird to a vet. Even if you can't find an avian vet, this thing needs to be surgically removed. I doubt any antibiotics will take care of this. Again, something this big that had infection would have no doubt went systemic a long time ago. These things have a lot of arteries feeding them and you can't cut them off without proper knowledge of what you are doing. At least this is my opinion.

I would find any vet and see if they can put the bird under and surgically remove this.

4. amer1

amer1 New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    It's on her chest almost between where her legs. More so on one side than the other.
    I was just wondering if anyone knew what it was. I figured there wasn't any treating it without a vet, but can't find a vet around that will even look at it.

5. amer1

amer1 New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    The only reason I thought it might be an infection is that the mass itself has puss coming out of it.

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It was hard for me to judge from this picture, many times photos don't do things justice. This COULD be from an ingrown feather. I have had TINY cycst like growths where feathers grow under the skin. But Wow, never this big!

Ok...if it is leaking pus, then you might try and deflate it a bit. You need to use tiny instruments like scapels, dental pics, tweezers, anything to pick, cut and remove anything that might be in there. Boil all instruments for 5 mins, then soak in alcohol for 3 mins.

Get some gauze, wear gloves for this. You don't want to contract any bacteria through your skin or cuts on your hands. Use peroxide and or iodine for this and you will need some topical antibiotics like neosporin or something similar (without the pain killer)

I would attempt to open it up where it is leaking. Dose the area first with alcohol to clean the skin area. Do as little cutting as you can as to not cause any more infection. Use tweezers to remove tissue that does come out. I mean just work this down the best you can with as little cutting as possible. Use a brand new clean syringe without a needle, and squirt peroxide directly into the opening. Peroxide kills everything. Of course it kills even live tissue, but we aren't worried about that right now. You might be able to dissolve some of this with the peroxide.

I would get this down as small as you can get it, then use antiobic ointments on any area you can get too. I would also start this bird on some sort of antibiotics. Amoxicillin, maybe PenG injections, or even Cephalexin if you have any. Keep the bird in a clean area by itself for several days. Clean the area daily and reapply ointments on it. No Blu-Kote. This needs to stay soft for a while. Keep it as clean and dry as possible.

This is what I would do or attempt to do. At this point I guess you have to do something.

Wow, keep us posted, I am really curious to see if you can get this cleaned up!

7. amer1

amer1 New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    That's what I've been inclined to do, but wanted to seek advice or thoughts first...since no vet wants to even see the bird.
    We will see if we can get anything out of the mass...I'll keep you all updated.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is always scary to cut or do surgery on birds. But not doing anything sometimes results in death of the bird. I have done bumblefoot surgeries and have cut into ingrown feathers in the past and I still get a bit nervous about it. LOL But if I think the bird will benefit from my stress, I go for it. LOL

Just do what you feel you can do. If you just can't do it, don't. I enjoy learning as much as I can about my flock, so I have a tendency to do things that terrify me. LOL

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

9. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    Wht happened with this mass? We're you able to drain it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by