Cyst or ingrowing feather?

Chickenator123

Hatching
Oct 22, 2020
This Cream Legbar hen is about 2yrs old and is mid-molt. She seems completely normal and is eating/drinking fine.
I happened to handle her today as she was being cheeky and not going back in the house to roost, and I noticed this lump on her underside right at the top of the sternum. Touching it didn't elicit any reaction and it felt reasonably solid.

Is this a cyst or ingrowing feather, or some other wound? I've kept chickens for a long time and never seen this before! Do I need to take any action? Thanks :)

image0-3.jpeg

Could you post a few more pictures of the area from different angles?

It is hard to exactly determine the nature of the wound, but since it is located near the keel is it possible the area is being rubbed off when she perches. If there is swelling around the area it could have developed into a breast blister. Or, it could have been an injury of sorts. It doesn't resemble much like an ingrown feather to me.

Regardless of what it is, I would apply an antibacterial ointment to the whole area for now, and reassess your perch setup, to one ensure, there are no splinters, the area is smooth, and designed in a way to prevent sore from developing in the first place.

Could you post a few more pictures of the area from different angles?

It is hard to exactly determine the nature of the wound, but since it is located near the keel is it possible the area is being rubbed off when she perches. If there is swelling around the area it could have developed into a breast blister. Or, it could have been an injury of sorts. It doesn't resemble much like an ingrown feather to me.

Regardless of what it is, I would apply an antibacterial ointment to the whole area for now, and reassess your perch setup, to one ensure, there are no splinters, the area is smooth, and designed in a way to prevent sore from developing in the first place.

Hi both,
Sorry I thought I had replied to this! I checked over the perch and it was still very smooth (check this regularly). I applied ointment but it largely seemed to sort itself out and she’s completely fine and hasn’t reoccurred. I suspect they may have got in a scuffle or she hurt herself on something while exploring the garden, or something else relating to her moulting. Thanks for the advice and help! :)

Hi both,
Sorry I thought I had replied to this! I checked over the perch and it was still very smooth (check this regularly). I applied ointment but it largely seemed to sort itself out and she’s completely fine and hasn’t reoccurred. I suspect they may have got in a scuffle or she hurt herself on something while exploring the garden, or something else relating to her moulting. Thanks for the advice and help! :)

Glad to hear the problem resolved!

Back
Top Bottom