Cyst Under Eyelid--Never Saw This Before

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
My EE, June, has a cyst or tumor under her eyelid that I discovered when checking out her toenails for trimming. At first I thought she had a piece of corn stuck under her eyelid and I saw only a tiny white speck, but when I pulled the lid up, wow, not corn at all. This tumor/cycst has veining, so it isn't a plaque at all like you might see with aspergillosis.

Sorry about the picture, but it was hard enough to get any pic at all with her squirming. She has no health issues whatsoever, no discharge from the eye at all, but if this gets larger, I guess her eyesight will be affected in her right eye. This is beyond the scope of my expertise, I'm afraid, and I hate to have to put her down for this. Pine Grove, I hope you see this! I don't know if there is anything I can do.

348_dscn1873.jpg

So sorry to see that your hen has this. One of my hens had the same problem. I posted about this problem a while back but unfortunately, no one had any ideas on what to do. I was a worry wart every day not knowing what would happen to my hen and her eye. There was nothing that I could do. Believe it or not, miraculously, it went away. I checked on her one day and it was gone, gone, gone. I didn't see where it had drained or anything. It was just gone. She had this for about 1 week. She was still eating, drinking, laying eggs, etc. She didn't appear to be in any pain at all. I know that this does not help you at all and I'm sorry. The pic below is what it looked like.

6612_038.jpg

I would love to hear what others have to say about what to do.

I can't tell in the pic, but did it just look like solid cheesy infection without veining? Or did you see capillaries on it? I wonder if it's just under the skin on June, maybe some infection from scratching herself. Wish I knew what to do about it, if anything. That's great that your hen's went away! Hope that's what happens here.

I was wondering if she could have scratched her eye some how are if something got stuck and it grew a cover over it. I am not sure I hope someone post that knows what it might be. I hope your hen gets better.

June is not my friendliest chicken, but she's a good girl and I've very fond of her. She was a gift from a friend when she was 8 weeks old. She lays humongous green eggs and makes the sweetest kids with Isaac. I hope this won't become something worse and mess with her eyesight. I dare not try to drain it or puncture it in any way; not sure I really could do something with it in her eye that way without risking injury. We do have some cortisone type eye antibiotic drops and put that in her eye, just in case it is an infected something or other.

You are welcome. I wasn't sure if you saw that one or not. I read a couple of other post on another site and it seems that they all cleared up either with drops or on their own. Good luck.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom