TwoCrows

🌻🐦🌻
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico
Does anyone have any experience with Vet prescribed Cytopoint on their dog due to Atopic Dermatitis (environmental allergies, causing itching, scratching, chewing, hair loss, hives, etc...) and if so how did your dog react to this injection? My Toby had a Cytopoint injection last Thursday and is having a fairly bad reaction to it and is not doing well, (lethargy, anorexia, bloody diarrhea...) he's pretty sick. I am just wondering if anyone else has ever had experience with this stuff. Thanks!

Does anyone have any experience with Vet prescribed Cytopoint on their dog due to Atopic Dermatitis (environmental allergies, causing itching, scratching, chewing, hair loss, hives, etc...) and if so how did your dog react to this injection? My Toby had a Cytopoint injection last Thursday and is having a fairly bad reaction to it and is not doing well, (lethargy, anorexia, bloody diarrhea...) he's pretty sick. I am just wondering if anyone else has ever had experience with this stuff. Thanks!
Reactions usually happen immediately after being exposed to an allergen, not days later. What you're describing sounds a lot like parvovirus. I would bring him to a vet ASAP.

https://www.avma.org/resources-tools/pet-owners/petcare/canine-parvovirus

Reactions usually happen immediately after being exposed to an allergen, not days later. What you're describing sounds a lot like parvovirus. I would bring him to a vet ASAP.

https://www.avma.org/resources-tools/pet-owners/petcare/canine-parvovirus
He is experiencing common side effects of the Cytopoint shot which started a day later, however most dogs only see mild symptoms. He has been back to the Vet and blood work and tests come back normal for any bacterial or viral infections, nothing going on internally, Vet can only assume this is an immune response. The vet gave him a steroid shot to help with this reaction and he is also on antibiotics for precaution. Never again with this medication.

Last edited:
I've never heard of this treatment. I just wash my dog in an organic oils based soap as well as using oil on his coat which has cured his dry itching problems.

I use freeze dried Bovine Colostrum for my dogs in allergy season. Works great! I think I'm actually going to start supplementing my older lab with it regularly for immune support, etc. I can post a link if you like. :)
I've heard of this stuff but have never tried it although I've tried every allergy supplement, every oil, all the shampoos and Oatmeal baths, probiotics, herbs that help with itching, we have ruled out food so at least we know this much. I am going to try homeopathic meds next, can't hurt.

But definitely post a link and I will try it on him!

Back
Top Bottom