Czech Araucana in unusual (but beautiful) colours?

splady

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
Dear all,

The Czech Republic is a little bit like the wild west - products from China sold at Farmers' markets, watered down honey sold by the roadside, medicines sold here which cannot be advertised in other countries. It's very much seen as the responsibility of the customer not to get ripped off all the time.

We bought some Araucana hatching eggs by post (without seeing the parents) and two of 12 hatched - both with unexpected colour variations. One is just beautiful - grey feathers with red lacing... but now I'm wondering... they don't look so much like the Araucana photos I see on here.

Does anyone else have Araucana that look anything like this?
102334_imag1369.jpg

Wow I'm shocked. Those are from the Czech Republic? Throughout Europe Araucanas look like what Easter Eggers look like here. . . Interesting.

But, yep, that's a real Araucana.
smile.png
I had a couple almost identical to that one. That one's gonna be a blue breasted red boy.

Now how would you be able to tell because I had some EE's (two of them)that had the same ear tufts but they were still EE's. I am just wondering how you can tell for sure from that picture.

Quote:
An EE is just a mixed breed chicken. Typically they look like they are an ameraucana mix, but sometimes you can find Araucana mixs.

Splady,

I am very happy for you. It looks like you managed not to get ripped off. Congrats. While the Standard of Perfection in the USA calls for only a few recognized colors in the Araucana, they actually come in a wide variety of colors. As Illia said, it looks like you have a blue breasted red. You also lucked out and got tufts. Is the other chick that hatched a pullet? If so, you are on your way to being able to produce your own.

On my website www.cashsblueeggs.com I have lots of pics to look at showing the different colors I have and get with my breedings. I also have info on the breed.

Lanae

Yes, I understand what an EE is but that doesn't answer my question
hmm.png
and I am not saying that you are wrong in any way either. What I want to know is how you know this is an Araucana and not just an EE with ear tufts?

To the OP:
Do you have a picture of the whole bird?

Last edited:
I will struggle to put this into words that make sense. Without getting into the whole EE or Ameraucana issue.

The bird has a pea comb, is rumpless ( or at least does not have a full tail, as evidenced by the lack of upright tail feathers) and has ear tufts. Those are three necessary items to be an Araucana. Araucana breeders do not classify their birds as EEs if they have a tail ( because some do ) The araucana is a breed that is a composite of two main south american breeds, 1 tailed, and 1 rumpless, plus over the years other breeds have been introduced to create new colors or for any host of reasons. Also if a bird does not have tufts, it is still considered an Araucana since due to the nature of their genetic make up, each tufted bird can only pass on a 50% possibility of tufts to their offspring.

I can explain that in greater detail if someone wants.

3rdly an Araucana is still assumed to be an Araucana even when the color does not conform to the USA Standard of Perfection, when the other traits of an Araucana are present.

I guess what I am saying is Araucana breeders are more apt to say " If it looks like and Araucana, has tufts like an Araucana,is rumpless like and Araucana, and lays a blue egg like an Araucana, we will call it an Araucana".

So the OP states that they ordered Araucana eggs, they have shown a picture of a bird that has 3 traits that an Araucana should have ( tufts, rumpless, pea comb). We see no evidence that it is not an Araucana, so why call it something else.

I hope that made sense.

Lanae

I know nothing about European Araucanas except what I've read, and that was that they are tailed, somtimes tufted or muffed and bearded, and sometimes crested. Here that would describe EEs. The United States has an organization that sanctions shows where poutry is judged by how close they come to the standard they write, and work in cooperation with another for bantams only. The two current recognized blue egg laying breeds are Araucana and Ameraucana. We have people with a bit of a double standard in this country because the same breeder will say an Araucana not of an approoved color or mixed variety is still an Araucana, but an Ameraucana not of an approoved color or mixed variety is an EE.
idunno.gif
This leads to much confusion and sometimes some emotional drama.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom