1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

D.E. Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Missbehavin, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Missbehavin

Missbehavin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Texas
    [​IMG]

Hi, I was wondering if 1. This was the safe stuff for my chicks, and 2. Is it safe to sprinkle a little in the chicks brooder. They are just 3wks old with pine shavings for the floor.
    Thanks

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It appears to be food grade so I would think it would be fine.

3. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

You have Red Lake Earth containing volcanic ash - not pure food grade DE, but it is still food grade. There are a lot of people here on the forum who use it and have used it for years without any issues at all...they love it. Unfortunately, there are (some) forum members here who ended up with sick animals, dead animals, and reduced egg-laying after using it. Granted ---- those sicknesses and deaths could have been coincidences and unrelated to the RLE given.

Here are some more threads regarding RLE (the kind you have)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/10981/is-red-lake-earth-right-de/20
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/304333/red-lake-earth-rle-or-de

Pure DE versus RLE seems to come with a host of controversy (as both are food grade), so I won't get involved (I'm too new to chickens to know much about what I'm talking about)

But..that being said...I'm sticking with pure food grade DE by Perma-Guard to play it safe.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  4. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I have used DE for years with all my animals. Cats, dogs, horses, and chicken I myself use it daily. It works great. I place a small amount right in the feed, I dust the area where they sun bath and sprinkle it directly on them. The biggest thing you have to watch for is that it say FOOD GRADE on the packageing. There are a few different kinds for pool filters and gardening. Double check it say s food grade. I'm a little concerned because it say "food chemical --------grade" all the stuff I get just says FOOD GRADE. other wise it is perfectly safe to use on chickens. It is completely natural and can not hurt them. DE food grade can be ingusted and works as a natural pest control. provents worms, lice, ticks, mites or what ever else then can get.

5. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Why do you want to use it with chicks? I use DE in the feed of older birds, just think it is a good idea myself, but never thought about using it with 3 week old chicks. Mine are in a brooder and don't need pest control... Mine just says Food Grade.

6. Missbehavin

Aug 15, 2011
    Texas
    So what brand does everyone use? Where do you get it or can I just order on-line. I am just trying to be proactive. My chicks are mainly in the brooder but I do let them out to run around in the yard and catch bugs.

7. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

8. Missbehavin

Aug 15, 2011
    Texas
    Thanks, will order soon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by