D.I.Y candling SHOW ME YOURS

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sians quails, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Sians quails

Sians quails Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2012
    Hi guys I just made a candler to see if my eggs have been fertilised or not.
    Lucky I work in electrical and know how to wire pretty much anything up.

This is just a short (I cut it to size) postage tube with both end lids. On the bottom lid I've attached an ES lamp holder.
    Make sure you drill a hole in the side of the tube far enough up for the cord and feed it through before wiring up.
    I then wired up the fitting and put a 100w equivalent fluorescent ES globe in. This will give me more light and less heat.
    Slip the tube over the globe and secure lid end.
    On the top lid I punched a small hole, I haven't got the eggs with me (CPQ and Japanese Coturnix) so I have just done a small one which I can made bigger if need be.
    I then painted the lid to let less light out the top.
    So I'm looking forward to getting home and trying this out on the eggs that my hen gave up on!

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR D.I.Y. CANDLER!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Wait.. How do you tell if they are fertile by candling unless they've been incubated for a couple of days at least..?

Nice job! I'd like to do something like this :)

3. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I just use a mini maglight with the plastic lens removed. The eggs fit into the face cap of the light perfectly.

4. Sians quails

Jul 11, 2012
    I read you can tell by the veins after about 4 days.
    I tried last night and quail eggs are so hard to tell!
    The CPQ's I think were not far from fully grown but they were under a hen for over 10 days.
    The Japanese ones are hard to tell..

5. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I use a $5 LED flashlight with a stand from Walmart and a big red Solo cup with a hole punched in the bottom.

New eggs and clears glow green. In most eggs you can see the reddish shadow of the yolk rolling around. By 4 days, the eggs are pinkish throughout (the veins), but for the most part still clear. By 10+ days, the eggs are "lights out" (as I call it since it looks like I turned off the flashlight) and you can't see anything. Sometimes you can make out the air sac. It helps to have a fresh laid egg nearby as a control to compare to. I candle a few, then candle the fresh egg to compare, then go back to the eggs I'm checking, etc.

Since quail eggs have spots and shell thicknesses can vary, it's hard to see in them. They won't candle like store bought chicken eggs. It helps to do a lot to get used to what you are looking at.

There are a few posts that have some nice pictures of what you can see.

6. Sians quails

Jul 11, 2012
    Thanks! I was wondering why they were green! Haha
    I haven't been able to find any threads with photos so far but will continue my search tomorrow.
    I candled the ones that didn't hatch in the incubator (3 out of 16 by the time I realised I had two females together instead of male female stupid me)
    And they had a big air pocket but I think I buggered up the humidity in there.
    Shame I'm going away so won't be able to put any in for ages :-(
    Thanks again :)

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My DIY candler is my iPhone. I have yet to find a better flash light. :oops:

8. Sians quails

Jul 11, 2012
    i tried my iphone and my candler i made out last night to compare... the iphone is way better.. only downfall is i cant take photos at the same time.

mine are all fluoro green except for one.. does this mean its not fertilised or should i put it in the incubator anyway.

also does any one have a hovabator with no egg turners... I'm getting a little frustrated with not getting many if any hatch :(

9. im using a hovabator for the first time, also first time incubating quail eggs as well, im a novice at this and looking forward to a good hatch, my brooder is ready as well. im will take some photos of how simple it was by going to a hardware store and asking if i could have a large box. presto! just added heat lamp, ready for chicks now,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by