1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

D.O.A from Ideal

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by cracked egg, Mar 17, 2012.

1. cracked egg

cracked egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    My last three orders from Ideal have been disasters. First order all chicks doa, second order lost 30%, my last order 70%. Ideal has been very good to work with and top notch customer service-no complaints and they have done their best to replace the chicks lost.
    I have doubts about the postal service also, I was called and told to pick my chicks up on the delivery docks. The weather was in the low 40's and who knows how long they were there. My first order the shipping box was smashed up and partly opened.
    Anybody else have similar problems?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Where are you located? The distance may just be too much from this particular hatchery

3. cracked egg

Feb 29, 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    In southeastern Idaho. I have thought of that also,distance just to far. Our order last year came in great shape,trouble this year though.
    I have talked to a few feed stores here locally and all have complained of the postal service,one has his shipped to another county.
    I was looking to confirm my suspicons on the distance issue.

Ideal has such a selection of birds that are unavailable from a local hatchery that I had hopes of using them.

4. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I've only had exceptional service and delivery of chicks from Ideal but I'm a meer 3 hours away from them. It definately sounds to me like it's your postal service

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    None of the hatcheries have any control over the post office or the weather.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    File a complaint to the USPS...like that will do you good! Maybe having them insured?

7. cracked egg

Feb 29, 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    Talked with Ideal today about the last order and my options. She informed me that the distance was not a issue or the colder weather we have here. Basically somewhere between Texas and Idaho the chicks are being mishandled. Ideal is sending replacement chicks that are insured this week at their expense.
    I can't say enough for Ideal.

8. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    The Postal system is going through so much upheaval right now. I wouldn't doubt there's even more disgruntled postal workers out there that are mishandling your chicks. Bastards. I agree with EweSheep - file a complaint with the USPS.

9. Heritage Hens

Heritage Hens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    Central Vermont area
    I agree with all of the above! The UPS recently screwed up a order of hatching eggs. Three days in the plane and trucks to and from airports, one whole day riding around central Vermont in a delivery truck and back to P.O. overnight because I wasn't home.
    This is PRIORITY MAIL....oh, really?
    I called the P.O. in advance, left home and cell phone numbers, said I would PICK UP MYSELF and to HOLD the shipment at the P.O. I even went down in person to speak to them in advance. They totally fudged up. One of the staff said he called me around 8 AM but no one was there so he didn't leave a message. Can you believe it? I said to him that three of their people told me they would call after the priority mail gets there at 4 AM. AND I WORK FOR A LIVING!
    Over half the eggs needed to be culled, early embryo death.
    I think we poultry people need to organize a complaint together. I don't care what their excuses are.

The supervisor told me to pay for express mail next time. I would say there won't BE a next time but we all know that once in awhile we have to put in these orders.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Why would it be better Express? What the heck?! Heck my envelopes got better care than my boxes of shipped eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by