D: What do I say?! (stupid Q)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BeccaB00, Jan 26, 2011.

1. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I recently switched my birds over to a better food

including pellets and just a little scratch, for now I was told layer pellets

are ok, but I have game birds, and layer pellets seem a bit much.

What should I ask for when I go to the feed store this evening?

I want regular crumbles, not layer pellets but you have to tell the

people at our feed store what you need as they don't have a list

of what they have, nor do they show you what they have. You

simply go in and say "I want scratch" or "I need grit for my chickens"

...I don't know what to say! [​IMG] Do I just say "I need crumbles for

chickens." Or is it CALLED somthing? by name? ugh idk. haha please let

me know! dont judge my horrible question!

thankyooouuuu!
    Becca

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There is Game Bird Feed, comes in several forms. For example, in their Game Bird line, Purina has Starter, Flight Conditioner (which is a grower) and Game Bird Breeder/Layena, which is in crumble form. Most feeds come in either crumble or pellet form. You need a crumble that is age and bird type appropriate, not scratch, which is not a complete feed for most birds.

The "scratch" I use is called Knockout, a Game Rooster feed, with 11 grains, very high quality. My one rooster who lives alone eats that almost exclusively since it's 12% protein by itself. Layers need more calcium than that, as well as higher protein.

3. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    [​IMG] alright thanks.
    Now I just have to figure out if they carry what I need. [​IMG]

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

ask:

"What all chicken feed do you have? I have (age of birds) that need (new requirement)."

I use gamebird breeder cut with scratch or boss depending on the time of year. I also get 'waste' food from a local place.

5. speckledhen

Here is the Knockout Game Bird Feed by Faithway Feeds that I use as my scratch.

[​IMG]

6. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:mmmmm, that looks good, bet my girls would love that as a treat!

7. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Ha ha! Dont feel bad.. Im always intimidated when I go into the feed store too.. its not somewhere that I feel really confident either. It would make it easier if they did have a list..I never know what to ask for either and they NEVER have a small ammount of anything..its so frustrating! I tried to go in to buy a bag of wheat to sprout for my THREE chickens and I asked for their smallest bag..50 POUNDS! What am I going to do with 50 pounds of wheat to sprout for three chickens..when I told the guy that was too much he laughed at me and said "you working on some special project or something?" [​IMG] And then I made a mistake of going in one time in a skirt, oh man. This crowd of crusty old timers in overalls actually fell silent and parted to let me through like I was Moses parting the red sea or something. I was so red in the face and flustered I forgot what I went in there for! Its less stressful to go to the dentist!

8. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    [​IMG] I feel the same! [​IMG]

"what kind of food do you need?" Normally ends up

being the most difficult question in the world for me! [​IMG]

speckled hen: That looks like the scratch I have. [​IMG]

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Do you mean something like grower crumbles, chick crumbles, layer crumbles?

10. speckledhen

You really have to know what you want when you go to any feed store so you don't rely on their "expertise". If you have game birds of laying age, you want a layer crumble, preferably for game birds. If they are younger than laying age, you want starter or grower or the combo starter/grower crumble.

To clarify, you have game birds like guineas or turkeys, not game chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by