Dab blasted predators....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 1livelychick, Jun 12, 2011.

1. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    [​IMG]:mad: Did I mention how mad i am! I don't know if was a coyote or a fox. Found one of my sweet production girls out by the garden...she's alive and some how she escaped but her backside is pretty bad. Barkyard doctored her the best I could. cleaned her wounds, Started her on Antibiotics, baby asprin, eggs, catfood whatever I thought she would, eat then gave her some electrolytes. I have her in the bathroom, a/c running. She's in a kennel with all the creature comforts I could give her.
    I guess this means no more free ranging for awhile. THey have a huge enclosed yard and still insist on going on the other side even if the grass is greener in the enclosed area!
    I have my chickens to enjoy them. Lately I find myself all stressed on trying to keep them in one specific area. Thanks for listening. At least I am not posting about a loss. I hope she pulls though. She just talked away while I was taking care of her.

2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Good luck on your doctoring. Hope she pulls through.

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to hear, you can't protect then when they won't follow the rules

4. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    A fox grabbed 4 of mine this spring. It looks like he almost got another one a few weeks later- IN MY BARN!!! Feathers everywhere, I thought she was dead- but nope, just every tail feather pulled out!!

I hope your gal recovers!!

5. 1livelychick

Feb 22, 2010
    Thanks so much, everyone! She is still alive.[​IMG] I gave her her meds, recleaned the area (man does it ever look terrible:sick) I feel for her. She was always called one of the production girls, but now I need to come up with a name! She keeps talking and bawking at me....she's eating and seemed perkier..I do hope she pulls through! I don't know if it's best to clean it twice a day or just in the am. Any suggestions? I initially used iodine solution not the scrub foamy stuff, straight iodine..this am I switched to the blue vet antibacterial rinse....I reapplied the triple antibiotic ointment.

6. 1livelychick

Feb 22, 2010
    Quote:Leezy Beezy, they are so bold! This one was about 70 feet from my home! Now I'm worried about the couple oof chicks that stay in the barn hallway. I thought they would be safe...I guess I'll put them up too. I don't want to deal with anymore of these issues!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by