dabuba

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dabuba, Jan 28, 2013.

1. dabuba

dabuba New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    We are new to chicken farming. Have three young girls and look to add four more next month. I have a problem right now. We have a coop and run setup with an extended optional run. They have been in doors and are ready to go out, but they hate the coop. I have been carrying them into the run everyday for the last couple of weeks and want to move them out permanentely. But they get indignant when we place them in the coop and bolt for the run. Have been trying to bribe them with a heat lamp, treats and even open window. But no luck. Any suggestions?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

Put them in the coop at night and close them up. They'll get used to it over time. They just need to learn where "home" is.

3. dabuba

dabuba New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    Thank you Sumi.
    I did just that last night and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. But it was in response to your confidence inspiring comment. I first thought : easy for an Irish person to say, having tough Irish flock; but mine are pampered California stock. Well, my chicks proved me wrong. And I saw at least one this morrning going back to the coup on her own.
    Thank you again!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You're welcome [​IMG] I'm not Irish (I moved here from South Africa) but my chickens are!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by