Daddy can we keep em?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by skillet_scramble, Nov 19, 2009.

1. skillet_scramble

skillet_scramble Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2009
    SE Texas or Angola
    My daughter came home from the feed store with a friend and had six baby chicks and I am certainly no expert on breeds. They were all about a week old when she got them but in these pictures are about 6 months old. 4 are the dark red hens with the lighter color marbled in that are in the top photo and the other two are the two Bantams in the bottom photo. Can someone tell me what breeds these are?

Sorry for the poor quality pics but it was quite humid and the lense kept fogging up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Not too sure about the dard red ones, maybe a RIR cross?
    The bottom two are buff cochins and looks like 1 roo and 1 pullet.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The top ones are red star or some other red sex-linked hen Usually friendly and very good egg layers.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The red/white one look to be a production red... She isnt a Rhode Island Red....

Chris

5. skillet_scramble

Nov 18, 2009
    SE Texas or Angola
    The red ones are definitely friendly and good layers without a doubt. Rarely is there a day when one doesn't lay.

6. skillet_scramble

Nov 18, 2009
    SE Texas or Angola
    Quote:After looking at the breed section on this site I do believe that they are the Red Star. The only difference I see is that the one in the picture on the site has a larger comb probably because it's an older bird.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/star/20741

7. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    1st pic. Is a GSL pullet(Red Star, Golden Comet, ISA Brown, ect....) typical red sex-link production type hybrid brown egg layer.

2nd pic. are two Buff Cochins a roo and a pullet.

catdaddy

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  8. skillet_scramble

Nov 18, 2009
    SE Texas or Angola
    Quote:I really like these hens and they lay well. If I wanted to get a rooster for this breed what would everyone suggest? I would like to incubate some eggs from them. I have a White Leghorn roo but would like to keep this breed rather than cross with the Leghorn.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Sex-Links are a crossbreed so they won't breed true if you get a Red-Sex Link Roo for them.

You could get them a Rhode Island Red Roo, they're friendly & pretty good layers. they also have basically the same body type as where the Leghorn is a lot more slender.

10. skillet_scramble

Nov 18, 2009
    SE Texas or Angola
    Quote:Thank you, I'm very new to this and allthough we have built a pretty good setup for our chickens because we were researching their needs extensively we are lacking in knowledge of breeds and breed selection. I'm not even really sure what a sex-link chicken is. I have heard the term but not really researched it before.

I also have a pair of Bantam Buff Cochins and would like to incubate some of their eggs but was wondering if because they are in the same run/coop with the others would there be a chance that my Leghorn had bred the bantam and produce some crossbred chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by