daddy rooster baby rooster

GoldenSparrow

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
I have a very mean rooster. I want to hatch eggs, but will the baby roosters be like daddy roo?
hmm.png

I really hope not
hide.gif

Handle the baby roo A LOT. My uncle had a roo. SWEET AS CAN BE a little girl held this one for an hour every day. He had another roo which he brooded and never touched as a chick. Mean nasty awful with him and the hens.

but do you think he would inherit his fathers meaness?
cause this roo is the meanest I have ever had.

Roosters are aggressive for various reasons. Some are just afraid of you, others are protective of their hens, some are just the spawn of Satan, while some may just have an "off day", and then some are only aggressive during molting season because of being sore.

General rule is if breeding a aggressive cock it's best to breed to a calm hen/bloodline, otherwise the offspring can very well be just like the father (or worse.) Lots of handling works, and may even gentle down the father unless it is him just being the spawn of Satan, or molting. Keep in mind though, this is not a guarantee and you may result in all being aggressive or a mixture of calm, wild, and aggressive birds within the batch.

-Daniel

I agree that handling/socialization goes along way, when Zeusy was a chick, the girls from across the way spend almost everyday with the chickens feeding/handling gently. And he hasn't had a bad day ever! That being said, Tuffoldhen (got the eggs from her) said she has never had a report of a mean Rooster from the pen that my eggs came out of that may very well could be the case too?? so who knows but the socialization certainly couldn't hurt though!

Last edited:
I agree with the other posts. I handled my cockerels as chicks. They may not have liked it but I made them stay in my arms for several minutes before I would put them down.

Back
Top Bottom