Daddy what am I? (Easter Egger & Silkie)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JayeCat, Mar 21, 2013.

1. JayeCat

JayeCat New Egg

Mar 10, 2013
    Hey, everyone!

I'm so glad that they (some of my flock) can't ask me this. Because I would be one helpless dad.

So I bring this all important question to you.... my fellow chicken parents. Please help!

Here is Empika. 2 week old Easter Egger.
    A couple friends have asked if Empika was an Australorp. The lady that I got the chick from does not have any Australorps. So if this chick is an Australorp, the mama hen had to have cheated with a neighboring cock.

Boy or Girl???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2 Week old Easter Egger.

Boy or Girl???
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Finally our Silkie.... if "she" is a she... her name will be Puffs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I'm bad at telling breeds when they're just chicks, so I couldn't help you on the whole Australorp/Easter Egger thing.

As for sexing them, I'd wait a few more weeks to be sure. But from my experience your little silkie looks like mine did when he was starting to feather out.
    In the meantime, I would watch them for any tell tale rooster signs such as, crowing (it'll sound like he's strangling himself), chest bumping and pecking heads also is what little cocks do, imitating a fight.

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    If the person is breeding Easter Eggers, the top chick could be an EE, it does have a pea comb, but the legs are so dark that it would have to mixed with a black Ameraucana or something. Not sure what your breeder's definition of EE is, so that could be helpful. The second is definitely an EE and the last is a Silkie.

So far the EE's look like pullets but it is way too early to tell and you'll have to wait a few weeks. The Silkie I can't ever tell at that age, you'll have to give them at least until 6 weeks, usually much longer.

Repost some photos in a few weeks and we'll try again [​IMG]

4. JayeCat

JayeCat New Egg

Mar 10, 2013
    I forgot to mention that the Silkie is 5 weeks old. :)

Thanks for everyones help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by