Daffodil's new digs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cerelia, May 30, 2010.

1. Cerelia

Cerelia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    ("Big") Hazel Green, AL
    As soon as I get my graphics software reloaded (thanks to Mcafee my computer crashed), I will post a photo of Daffodil's new quarters, which was designed based on all of the wonderful advice I received here. Cannot thank everyone enough.

Started out with a Doc Bob steel wire kennel from Tractor Supply. We bought two, because about six weeks ago, someone dumped a one-year-old Jack Russell Terrier here. This guy has a ton of energy, AND he loves to harass Daffodil, so we got another one to help contain him off and on until we can get him trained (high hopes). We actually put the two kennels together so they could share two walls, which helped make a larger area. Not ideal when Gabe is visiting the other kennel, but he isn't in there much. HOWEVER, Gabe works as a good "test predator" -- if he cannot get to Daffodil, no one can. The good news is that we can put her in the second kennel when we clean out her kennel.

We put Gardener's Supply plastic fencing (already had it) around the sides of the wire kennel and over the top. We elevated and attached her water and feed bowls to the side of the kennel...keeps them much cleaner, yay.

She has a make-shift ramp up to her pool, still need to work on that. We still have to work on the pool, too. We were using an old inflatable kiddie pool that was idea. That old pool actually survived the sun when we lived in AZ...they don't make them that thick anymore. It was five feet in diameter and about 16 inches deep. Unfortunately, after several months of use, it was punctured. Right now we have a tough tub up, but it's not the right dimensions for her.

We put Night Guard lights all around the enclosures to help with predators. So far, so good. We also have a plastic kennel in there for shelter, but she doesn't use it.

She can graze now...she keeps the grass trimmed in both kennels (who needs goats?). The grazing is really helping her heal. I have another thread on here about her rescue and condition at the time of the rescue, so I won't bore you with long details about that again. Her shattered hip is doing better...she is getting very difficult to catch these days!

That girl is protected! Thank you for your help!

2. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Looking forward to seeing pics - but won't she need a 'friend' to share that wonderful space with?

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  3. Cerelia

Cerelia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    ("Big") Hazel Green, AL
    Right now we have a mirror in there for her, and sure enough, she does stick pretty close to that mirror. I tried putting toys in with her, but she wanted nothing to do with them. The avian vet wasn't sure that she would do as well as she has, and she said that if she got better she could have another handicapped duck in with her. Anything more might be too much for her with that shattered hip.

Night before last we returned from an eight-day Florida vacation. A neighbor fed and watered her. She seems to be a little upset since then. I'm not sure if she is mad at us for leaving, or was trying to warn us of the four-foot Black snake that headed into the barn when my hubby was mowing yesterday. I assume she can handle herself OK with the Black snake...don't know how we could keep it out of her pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by