Daily Journal: 50-Cornish X chicks from Schlecht

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bnentrup, May 20, 2010.

1. bnentrup

bnentrup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Just received my 50 (sent 51) cornish X straight run -per their suggestion, from schlechthatchery.com today! They shipped out on tuesday, and received today thursday (Indiana). ALL ARRIVED healthy. Total billed to my card was $59 for the 50- with shipping included!! that would make them $1.18 ea... NOT BAD PRICING AT ALL!!!

Will let you know how they progress.

-UPDATE 5/21: Started with 51- 3 died in night, cause likely due to cold/trampling. Lesson Learned. 48-birds remaining

-UPDATE: 5/22: Started with 51- 1 died in night. 47- remaining

-UPDATE: 5/23: Started with 51- 1 died in night. 46- remaining. I feel the feeder was cause of death. I have one bird that is walking sluggish, and expect him to pass as well.

-Update: 5/24: Started with 51- 1 died late evening yesterday, 45-remaining. Twas a runt! I have another in the sick ward right now and I do not expect him to live. He is definitely a runt as well.... I noticed 1-with a partially pasty butt. but the others looking fine. Brooder has been completed last night and the chicks moved over to their new home for the next 2-weeks (will move em out by week 3!).

-Update 5/25: Still have 45! The flock is holding ground. Chose one for random weight @ 3oz. Spotted 2-with pasty butt, no complete blockage though.The 50-area eating about 6-cups per day at this point of chick starter. Feeding around the clock.

-Update 5/26:45-holding tight! I forgot to turn the brooder light back on last night, and was fearing the worse when I opened the door. Nope, they are doing well, and looking better than ever.

-Update 6/20: 43 birds in the tractor. Average weights are 2.0-2.25 range. I have blown through 200lbs of feed (plus a bit more) at this time. Conversion rate is still right on target. We are about 80% feathered at this time. I feel that feathering is a bit behind the average, and probably relative to their lower weights/growth as well. Chart added today to show weight progress and feed consumption

-Update 6/25: 20-dead birds and 4 more with injuries!! We had a dog attack today.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. chickenboy7c2d

chickenboy7c2d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    ah cool [​IMG]

3. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Congrats . They do have great prices ; I haven't found better and the chicks seem as good any on average . Best wishes .

4. danschicks

danschicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm processing 50 of their birds Saturday. Ordered all Roos, only got 1 hen. Very good size. They will be about 7 1/2 weeks. I'll order from them again.

5. bnentrup

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    danschicks; what will your finished avg weight at 7.5? what was your feed routine?

6. danschicks

danschicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    Virginia
    I fed them from sun up to sun down. Prevents the feeding frenzies. They spent a lot of their day laying around and eating the pasture. Their pasture pen was moved 1-2 times a day. More ofter now as they soil the area pretty quickly. Not sure of their weights yet but they look normal for what I'm used to. They look in the 3.5 to 4.5 range. I have a handfull that look to be 5+. They consumed about 750bs of food thus far, and cleared atleast a quarter acre of pasture.

7. bnentrup

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I am going to try to keep a log, mostly for my benefit but hopefully so others can learn from my mistakes:

DAY 4 (my second day with them)

We had our first casualties last night. I checked on the birds this morning, and noticed they were huddled tightly together. Well, I found 3-smushed birds, probably from trampling/cold. I would rather blame myself instead of the hatchery at this point.

48-birds of 51 shipped remaining.

I HAVE MOVED the birds to a different location/warmer (laundry room). I will also be getting a warmer heat lamp for them, but noticed after I moved them there is limited/no huddling. Also, I have placed a bit of sugar in the water to give them a little boost.

Something strange last night; after filling a small dish with water, I had 2-birds that would NOT get out of the bowl. Do they thing they are ducks? I was a bit worried in that it would drop their body temps. I made a cool auto-waterer after this.. I will post that in the other area soon.

FEEDING: They are eating A LOT!!! And I am allowing the food to remain for 24 hours cycle at this time.

8. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    They need it pretty warm for the first few days, then you can drop the temp pretty fast and they are fine. They will pile up like that when they are scared too so no loud or sudden noises. quiet and calm.

9. bnentrup

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Ok, this is our third-day with our cornish X - started with 51, lost 3 the first night, and 1 last night. Therefore, down to 47 now... I purchased 50 with the hope of being able to butcher 40 (from what I read about high mortality rates).

I have been monitoring the temperature today. To be honest, this is the first time that we have had day-old birds!! We usually buy them from the feed store, and I typically pick the older/established birds. What is funny, those are usually the birds that people do not want (too big/been there too long/too old etc). I look at buying those from feed store as established. My mortality rates have been VERY low from using this method in the past, and my cost per bird (which really is not a big issue) is low as well. Hmm..

A few weeks back, I bought 1 got 2-free (black sex links and supposedly cornish x). I wanted 2-cornish X, but ended up with 2 Red Sex Links!! When I purchased those 2, they were indeed yellow birds, and have been changing ever since (oh well, I have enough cornish now to work with!)

I have never had to monitor my brooder temps like I have been doing now; I feel that it is why I have lost 4 thus far and wish I was more prepared for a larger number in the brooder. Space is not the issue, but rather I would prefer having a thermostat in my brooder. I will be building a new brooder today, and unite all 47-remaining into one holding unit and will post pics soon.

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

That was certainly an excellent price! I will be remembering that hatchery for future reference. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by