1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Daily (or weekly) Chicken Picture Thread- Post your chicken pics here!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BantyChooks, Oct 5, 2015.

1. chickens102403

chickens102403 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2015
    California
    Yeah, they are super cute. Bruce was just helping me pull weeds in the garden! She just eats all of the weeds for me! It's half the work for me to do[​IMG], so I don't mind. But sometime she eats more than she is supposed to....[​IMG]

I left her there too long with no supervision. She is OBSESSED with kale, so she ate all of it.
    [​IMG]

Eating the weeds in the kale bed (probably eating the kale, not the weeds). I can't leave her here alone. She can not stop eating kale. Ever. I have to ration it to her[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! I was asking because since T.Roo went to freezer camp, his "sister", Cookie, has started to grow what I think are the beginnings of spurs. What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    -Alex

3. Alexandra33

@chickens102403 , Bruce and Clark are incredible! Your story is amazing, and I'm sure that Bruce is all the more special to you for what happened. They remind me so much of my own RIR, Jordan. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -Alex

4. chickens102403

Jan 5, 2015
    California
    That is bazzar.

Not that this is happening, but it is possible for a female to change genders. It is acctually really interesting. Here is a link:
    http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/spontaneous-sex-reversal-hen-just-become-rooster/

It would be SUPER cool if that happened to yours in my opinion because it is really rare. But it is MUCH more likely that it is just a fluke. (let us know if she starts crowing though)

5. Alexandra33

I happen to have that particular issue of the magazine, and I think it's quite interesting! Cookie actually squatted for a rooster we used to have (until he attacked me), plus she doesn't sport Sicilian Buttercup rooster plumage, so I'm pretty sure she's a pullet. [​IMG] But I agree, her spurs are pretty cool. She's actually one of my absolute favorite girls in our flock!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    See her spurs in the first picture?

-Alex

6. chickens102403

Jan 5, 2015
    California
    Thanks! Sorry I didn't add this to my last post, I did not see it before I submitted it[​IMG]. I love RIRs, I want to get more! People seem to like fancy looking birds more, but plain ones are just as sweet!

7. Alexandra33

Don't be sorry, because I was never offended. [​IMG]Agreed, basic breeds are every bit as wonderful as the more ornamental ones. I have a mixture of both in my growing flock of 37, and I must say that 3 of my most beloved girls are a White Rock and 2 Barred Rocks. Such precious birds. [​IMG]

-Alex

8. chickens102403

Jan 5, 2015
    California
    I had 2 bantam barred rocks a few years back but I lost them due to moldy feed in the winter[​IMG]. It was my first rainy season and I was not careful about keeping the food dry. In fact, I stored it on the roof of the coop. So stupid[​IMG]! But they were so cute! One died before the other and it was so depressed! It dropped all of it's feathers it had to live in the garage! I am constantly amazed by chicken compassion, every one says that chickens are so brainless and don't have feelings. But once you get them it is amazing to see how smart they are.

9. Alexandra33

I am so very sorry for your loss.....[​IMG]You're right once again, chickens aren't known for their wits, but I have witnessed such smarts first hand. Actually, Cookie is definitely the most intelligent bird in our flock. [​IMG] Following close behind would be my two Cayugas and Blue Runner.

-Alex

10. chickens102403

Jan 5, 2015
    California
    Bruce and Clark are probably the smartest in my flock... My silkie is the least smart. But it is not her fault-her vaulted skull made her vonarable for brain damage. So she got her head pecked at and now she spends her time staring at a fence post. She relies on me to carry her inside at night. Poor thing!
    Fluffy pants: the special needs silkie
    [​IMG]

And my daily update:
    I put a nesting box outside so Bruce does not have to sit in the mud. Clark decided to join him apparently:

[​IMG]
    (fluffy butt photo bomb)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by