daily swollen crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amber.lyda, Nov 18, 2013.

1. amber.lyda

amber.lyda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    I have 1 bird that has a daily swollen crop. She acts completely normal but look like she is about to burst by the end of each day. When I let her out of the coop in the morning it is completely deflated and she is eager to eat. She has access to grit and "free ranges" in our small backyard so she has access to her pellets and plenty of grass, fruits vegetables grass etc.

When I feel it I can feel whatever she has eaten. Example this morning I could feel the small amount of scratch she ate, by the end of the day its mushy because she eats mainly grass, veg and fruit. She has lost some feathers, She is a sizzle so her feathers are crazy (shes a fugly lil girl:). She seems to loose them , then fluff up a few weeks later.

Should I worry? None of the other girls have this.

2. amber.lyda

amber.lyda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    forgot to add that she has access to grit since we have a sand run. And again she is laying, keeping up with the other girls and just seems normal. I dont remember her crop being this enlarged when we first got her months ago.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She sounds fairly normal although it sounds as though she overeats, and is developing a pendalous crop. If she is overweight she could be at risk later on for conditions such as fatty liver disease. There are cloth devices called crop bras available or that you can make to hold in the crop if her muscles get overstretched. Here is a link about crop problems: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by