Daily, weekly, monthly and yearly routines for cleaning your coop?

Owenp_2

Songster
Jul 27, 2020
Middle of North Carolina
Hey everyone, I just want to know what you guys do each day, week, month, and year for your coop maintenance. Soooooo...... can you just let me kniw by replying to this thread what I should do to ensure that the coop is 100% 24/7?
Thanks,
Owen

Daily: Gather eggs, check water, check food, let out to free range, close up at dusk (no free range during the winter)
Weekly/Monthly: treats, add new pine shavings to coop... in winter: snowblow path to coop
Yearly: Winterize in October, Spring Cleaning in April/May
Thanks for the help should I still fill up the water everyday even though it is a 5 gallon bucket for 7 chicjens or only fill up a gallon of it each day?

Thanks for the help should I still fill up the water everyday even though it is a 5 gallon bucket for 7 chicjens or only fill up a gallon of it each day?
I fill it but they could play in the water, and the bucket will need to be cleaned to avoid bad algae. I check the waterer every day to make sure everything is good or safe. Especially on hot days and in the winter.

You do sometimes need to scrub out the waterer with hot water and soap, I do it every 2-3ish days, so you couldn't refill a gallon daily unless you wanted to pour out the water.

Really depends on your set up. Like me, I refill once a week. I never clean out the waterer, just give it a rinse. I don't have an issue, but that's because I set it up to minimize any potential problems (i.e. I don't get algae growth).

As far as my routine for cleaning:
Daily - Twice a day clean up poop (any obvious ones in run, and under roost in coop).

Nothing in particular weekly or monthly.

Yearly - Twice a year, clean bedding out of coop.

Daily... feed, water, scoop poop
I’m looking to invest in a larger waterer for winter

Weekly/Monthly... I haven’t done anything weekly or monthly yet...

I’ll probably change out the bedding every 6 months, I’m only on month 2 with the current coop so...we’ll see!

Other things I do, as needed but not on any particular schedule:
Add to compost heap in run.
Add leaf litter to run
Rake compost heap back together (the birds dig through it, and spreads it out)
add used coffee grounds to bedding

Back
Top Bottom