Daily/Weekly Routines with Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by elehman, Jun 16, 2011.

1. elehman

elehman New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    So we have 25 Buff Orpingtons in our brooder at the moment... They are about three weeks old. We play with them a bit (though they are definitely frightened of us!), feed them and give them water. Is there anything else we should be doing? Inspecting them for health issues? How do we get them used to being handled? We have put them outside in a small sheltered pen for a few hours a couple of times and they were very happy.

Thanks!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You should be handling them everyday, as much as you can daily to get them used to being handled. If you wait too long, as they get older, they will never "tame up". By nature they are scared of being touched and picked up by humans, but they will get used to you as time goes on.

That is great that you are giving them some "outside" time, it is good for them to start getting used to being out of doors, eating bugs, grass and growing immune to all the "things" outside that can affect babies.

As far as inspecting them, as long as they all look healthy and are active, eating and pooing well, then there is nothing to do but enjoy them! [​IMG]

3. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Approach them with your hand low to the ground (less threatening than reaching from overhead)...as if to scoop them up. Fingers first, slide their legs between your fingers. You can pick them up, they are stable and using the other hand over the back after you lower hand has them. Or do it with one hand behind them and approach from the front. Has been the best for us when little ones.

4. elehman

elehman New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    Thanks!
    @twocrowsranch: what type of chick is in your pic? we have one of them (mystery chick!) and are wondering what breed it is [​IMG]

5. chickenbarn-gal

chickenbarn-gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:This is what I did -

1. Handled them everyday

2. Moved the brooder into my room, [​IMG] took a pillow and blanket and slept on the floor next to them. which got them VERY used to me. [​IMG]
    (Since they are already THREE weeks old, then you can hold them and pet them a lot more than you used to!)

3. Just played with them a lot, took them out on a plastic sheet and let them run around.

Once they grew up, they loved me, especially when I'd come out with their daily cottage cheese everyday around 12:00 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:That little chick in the thumbnail is a day old Bobwhite quail I hatched out who turned out to be a very sweet girl. Hence her name, "Sweety". [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  7. seramasrus

seramasrus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Arden, NC
    I try to hold each one of mine each day, even if it is just for 2 or 3 mins, and with the chicks, I hold each and ever one. I know my hens don't like it with them pecking me every time. But they finally get over it and so do the chicks. I also feed them treats out of my hands so that get use to my hands being around them.

8. lutz123

lutz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

TREATS! Mine became awfully friendly once they realized I doled out goodies. That being said, 25 is an awful lot to try and hand tame at once. I don't know how much time you have to devote, but just grab one and pick it up for a few minutes each time you go by the pen.

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I hold mine each day. It's a lot easier with only 8 chicks. They love treats too!

10. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    For large amounts of chicks it is a good idea to have food in one hand, and pet them with the other. I find this really effective. I learnt it from a pro chicken shower/petting zoo owner. Do this anywhere, anytime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by