Dairy Cow

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BirdBrain, Feb 15, 2008.

1. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    In my dreams I have a small farm with chickens, ducks geese and a dairy cow or two. Right now it is still a dream. [​IMG] However, I am doing a lot of research and looking into where I might obtain a dairy cow (or heifer) when we do get that acreage we are hoping for. Do you know how hard it is to find anything on line about where to get a dairy cow in south Texas? You would think with a huge creamery near by that there would be something, but I can't come up with shmatz! Those of you who have gotten dairy cows, where did you get them and how did you find out where to get one? If I were in Wisconsin, this would be a lot easier. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Sometimes craigslist or the newpaper has a few ads on livestock

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Do you have a sale barn near by? If so, call them and see if they have a dairy sale.

You are right, it would be easier in WI-we have dairy cows all over!

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I know this wasn't the question, but for personal use, you might consider a couple dairy goats instead. A milk cow will produce much much more than you could probably ever use, and they are a very expensive animal to purchase. You can usually find dairy goats between $100 and $300.

5. BirdBrain

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    KSacres,

You are right about the goats, but my DH won't even hear about goats. For those of you with goats, is there a difference in taste between goats milk and cows milk? The goat's milk you can buy at the grocery store smells like goats and I can't quite get past it. My son loves goat's milk.

My folks run cattle on the family ranch, but they are all for beef. I guess I am just used to cows and love their personalities. My DH gets job transfers every now and then and I am not keen on the idea of raising a bottle calf in hopes of milk in 2 years when we might get another transfer and I would be out of luck...or milk as the case may be. So there you have it.

I like the idea of a sale barn, but I think I would have to go to a sale barn in another county as Houston isn't the best place to find a sale barn.

6. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    I would suggest checking with a local (probably smaller operation) dairy. We got our 8 calves this way. The one heifer calf that came out w/holstein characteristics was one that we didn't purchase, as they wanted $375 for her, as opposed to the $175 we are paying for the black bull/heifer calves. Of course, this doesn't do you any good if you are looking for a ready to milk cow, but they may also be able to point you in the right direction.

7. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Goats milk only tastes "goaty" if you don't keep it clean or if your does run with a buck. My husband won't drink it plain, so I put chocolate or strawberry flavor in it and he doesn't complain. It's all in his head though.

8. MBLayfield

MBLayfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    I bought a jersey from a dairy here locally. They were glad to sale her because she was too old for them. She was six.... I milked her as long as I could then her go dry before she calved. She had a beautiful fawn heifer. I was getting almost 4 gallons a day before she calved!

Unless you are prepared to hand milk your cow you might want to consider a portable milker. I couldn't milk two gallons each milking without it. It took forever and my hands would ache! I paid $800.00 for my "old" show cow and she was the best. The only trouble I had was because she was a dairy cow she didn't want to stand forever to be milked. In addition to all the milk I got, out of the four gallons almost a gallon a day was cream. I had cream coming out my ears! I've since sold queenie do to the lack of time I had for milking and boy do I regret it. The milk is better, tastier and I know whats in my milk! If you have the time and energy I'd do it!

If you don't need a ton of milk a day you might consider a short horn or something smaller than a jersey or holstein. A good dual purpose cow that you could use for meat eventually if you wanted to.

9. BirdBrain

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Actually, I would like to hand milk, but have had some problems with Carpal Tunnel syndrome in the past and wonder if a portable milker wouldn't be a better option.

By the way Brandy, can you check your Messages? I'm still wanting to try your recipe. Thanks. [​IMG]

10. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I would say craigslist or your local paper first. Maybe go to the feedstore and ask someone there if they know any dairies. I worked at a jersey dairy milking about 135 cows and 2 times a year they thinned out the herd based on milk production. They sold them for about $1500.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by