dAIRY COW

jadude

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
sc
how much space does a dairy cow take up how much milk does it give per day and does it give milk year round and how much feed does it consume

How much milk and the quality of it depends on the breed I think. Cows don't give milk year round. They only produce milk AFTER they have had a calf. Once the cow dries up or doesn't give any more milk, you have to breed her again. As for the feed and space, can't help ya there...

ETA: The black and white ones are called Holsteins. Yes they are a dairy cow, but there are also Beef breeds that are black and white.

Last edited:
A cow has to be breed annually to produce milk.

A cow needs several acres of grass/pasture to graze to make the best milk.

Grain is not really the best thing for ruminants.

You can't keep a cow in small place and think it will thrive and be healthy.

They have great big poops that splop and splosh. They draw flies worse than any other animal I know.

The average jersey and holsteins I am familiar with through growing up around herds of cows make anywhere from 2 - 3 gallons of milk twice a day.

The lady where I am very fortunate to get milk from has 3 milking jerseys on pasture and she gets 6 - 8 gallons of milk twice a day.

Quote:
actually they are usually bred within a month or so of calving..if you wait to breed them AFTER they dry up you will go a whole year with no milk,they need lots of protien to produce larger amounts of milk,but if your just milking for the family needs you wont need 60-80lbs a day,and a good holstien will do that easy,myself when I had the dairy I didnt care for the grass fed flavor of milk,but I didnt even drink whole milk then as I like fat free skim much better,the whole is just to thick and heavy for me,not to mention it has lots of fat in it..

It takes 9 months for a calf to be born after the cow is bred if she settles. You breed a cow the first time roughly 45 days after calving-depending on when she comes in heat. A high producer will be longer out than a poorer producer.

The amount of milk depends on the breed, cow, and feed.

You feed hay, hayledge, or corn silage as the main part of a cow's feeding regimine. Grain is feed acordding to how much milk she is giving. Without the grain you won't get much milk.

Come on over to
Cowsmiley-2.jpg
. Where you can ask questions and get answers from people that have/have had cattle.

As for different breeds, follow this link and see what breeds are out there: http://www.backyardcows.com/web/viewblog.php?id=5-Breed_page

Oh, on the amount of space, if you are pasturing only figure on 1.5-2 acres per cow. It also depends on where you live and your weather conditions. If you supplement feed you can get by with less but, don't crowd them-you'll have a big mess.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom