1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dairy for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by duckduckturkey, Jul 13, 2011.

1. duckduckturkey

duckduckturkey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Hi,

There other day, I had some Ricotta cheese to spare, and rather let it go, I feed it to the hens. They loved it! Now I'm wondering if that is something they should get fairly often. And if so, how often is often?

I saw a post that stated chickens needed vitamin D to absorb calcium. I know they add vitamin D to milk, so is cheese high in it also?

Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    A couple times a week some cheese isn't going to hurt them. Mine love it. I just don't go so overboard on it that they start ignoring their nutritionally complete layer feed.

3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Since it is a treat, just do it every once in a while. Some will debate never to give chickens cheese because their system isn't really made to digest it. I think it's fine if you only give it like once or twice a month if you wanted. Yogurts and stuff with probiotics in it are better for them, just try not to give them too many flavored ones because of the sugar and other stuff in them. I used to give my birds Kefir, it's a liquid yogurt type thing you drink, they loved that.

Also, chickens can get plenty of Vit. D from the sun. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by