1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dairy Goat People

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by dacasodivine, May 21, 2008.

1. dacasodivine

dacasodivine Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2008
    Do you hand milk or have something like an Utterly Easy Milker? or some other hand held milker?

2. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    hand milk. would love to have something else, but we don't have electricity to our barn. we'll need to get something soon though.

3. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I'd love to learn more about milking goats-- do you guys have any good website recommendations? Not sure if I even like goat's milk, but with the rise in prices of food, fuel and everything else, we are trying to grow and produce as much as we can at home ( now that we moved to a place we can do that) and I'm looking for good resources!!!!

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I hand milk but I only will be milking 1 goat!

5. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    I have goats but don't milk them. I'm hoping to breed this fall and have lots of yummy goats milk nest spring.

I found a web site last year that has been soooo helpfull about all aspects of goat husbandry. www.fiascofarm.com Check it out and let me know how you like it!

Their Other Mother
    [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I hand milk.

7. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Thanks, Their Other Mother-- I'll check it out when I get back from work!

8. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    i hand milk one right now but soon will be milking two maybe three. i don't mind the hand milking once my hand quit hurting. of course i'll have to go through the hand hurt thing again when i add the next couple girls. i am thinking about getting one of these http://www.maggidans.com/milker.htm i've heard some good things about it from people that use it. very tempting.
    NurseNettie- i found that goat milk tasted like cow milk only richer(i have nigerians). i was scared to try it and had the kids do it first. there are things that can affect the taste but i haven't had any problems. one key is getting it chilled super fast.
    i have been very pleased with having the dairy goat. i chose the smaller breed cause i don't have acres of land. also the one goat milked twice a day provides enough milk for our family of six. but we don't eat cold cereal and such so that probably helps with milk consumption. i'm adding the others so i can have yogurt and cheese.

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I hand milk 3 goats. I would say I would have to be milking 10 to justify a milking machine.

Plus, getting your hands on there helps you check for problems/lumps. I think i've bonded with my goats more now that I squeee them every day.

10. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    greyfields- you bring up a good point about bonding with the goats with more hands on. i really enjoy my time with ginger. i still go out and hang with them but it's just different at milking time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by