Dairy Goat People

I'd love to learn more about milking goats-- do you guys have any good website recommendations? Not sure if I even like goat's milk, but with the rise in prices of food, fuel and everything else, we are trying to grow and produce as much as we can at home ( now that we moved to a place we can do that) and I'm looking for good resources!!!!

I have goats but don't milk them. I'm hoping to breed this fall and have lots of yummy goats milk nest spring.

I found a web site last year that has been soooo helpfull about all aspects of goat husbandry. www.fiascofarm.com Check it out and let me know how you like it!

Their Other Mother
big_smile.png

i hand milk one right now but soon will be milking two maybe three. i don't mind the hand milking once my hand quit hurting. of course i'll have to go through the hand hurt thing again when i add the next couple girls. i am thinking about getting one of these http://www.maggidans.com/milker.htm i've heard some good things about it from people that use it. very tempting.
NurseNettie- i found that goat milk tasted like cow milk only richer(i have nigerians). i was scared to try it and had the kids do it first. there are things that can affect the taste but i haven't had any problems. one key is getting it chilled super fast.
i have been very pleased with having the dairy goat. i chose the smaller breed cause i don't have acres of land. also the one goat milked twice a day provides enough milk for our family of six. but we don't eat cold cereal and such so that probably helps with milk consumption. i'm adding the others so i can have yogurt and cheese.

I hand milk 3 goats. I would say I would have to be milking 10 to justify a milking machine.

Plus, getting your hands on there helps you check for problems/lumps. I think i've bonded with my goats more now that I squeee them every day.

greyfields- you bring up a good point about bonding with the goats with more hands on. i really enjoy my time with ginger. i still go out and hang with them but it's just different at milking time.

Back
Top Bottom