Dairy goat tape, someone help me use it please?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bheila, Mar 21, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I've never used one and they don't send directions with it. So I need someone to talk me through it.
    Does it matter that some of my goats aren't dairy, like my Pygmies? I don't want to dose them too much medicine.
    Most of my goats have been weighed at the vets but I'd rather not have to pay the gas to drive them there let alone pay for a vet visit when I can do my own doctoring [​IMG]

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    You take the tape and wrap it around the hearth girth which is right behind the front legs...thats how I use mine.

3. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Okay thanks [​IMG]

4. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Yes, it matters what type of goat you are using the tape on. If you go to Maxine Kinne's website she has a great chart you can use, converting inches to pounds for Pygmys.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Goattalker is right. You cannot use a dairy goat tape on a Nigi or Pygmy - you need to either get a tape for their size or convert it.

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    WHY would you need to use a tape on a miniature? Pick the sucker up, step on the scale...done!

7. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:Whaaaaaa? I thought that Nigerians were considered a dairy goat? Okay now I'm really confused. What the heck did I buy the darn thing for then?*sighs*

8. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    The tapes only work on LARGE dairy goats...

9. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:I don't have a scale. Who needs to be reminded of how over weight they are [​IMG]

10. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Haha then make your hubby do it LOL play weak...! (and leave the scale in the barn!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by