dairy goats ?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Catfishingpokey, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Catfishingpokey

Catfishingpokey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    Today we are going to a goat dairy with the hopes of purchasing a young doe that is heavy bred.they have nubians , saenans,and alpines.this is our first goat if any one has any info that would be helpfull please respond.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Please use the search feature. You will find tons of good info on dairy goats.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Yes, please use the "Search" feature as MissPrissy suggested. There is a lot of info you should know BEFORE bringing a goat home.

Another great site you should read through before going is:

http://fiascofarm.com/

If you still have specific questions after all that reading, please ask here and we'll be glad to help you.

Have fun learning! [​IMG]

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Good luck with the goat. So far, the only problem I foresee is in your breed choices-- they all have big ears!

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    So far, the only problem I foresee is in your breed choices-- they all have big ears!

Oh, silly kinnip... her poor goats were in line for ears when they heard there were animal crackers across the way... they went for the crackers and completely missed out on getting ears! [​IMG]

edited for spelling​

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  6. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    Theirs a lot of information out about dairy goats, please read and be knowledgeable, before you purchase one

7. Catfishingpokey

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    where i live the summer time temps reach 100 plus pretty regular so i dont think the ears will be a problem.

8. Catfishingpokey

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    i am not going into this blind my father has had nubians and alpines for about ten years now and keeps 1 or 2 in production all the time. i was just wondering if any of you had input on some of the other breeds.but any way we brought home a registered saanen doe that is 21 months old and should give birth around the 6 th day of march.she seems very sweet and docile.i think she would be a house goat if i would let her.tomorow i am going to try to find her a buddy.one that is a lot less expensive.

9. Catfishingpokey

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    thanks for the info finding some neat stuff.

10. Catfishingpokey

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    This is Mary, our new Saanen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's due to kid in March. She is very sweet and gentle, hopefully she can train us well, since she is our first dairy goat.

Pokey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by