Daisy duck (Muscovy) will she sit on her first clutch this late in the season

MommaDuck78

Chirping
Nov 12, 2019
My Daisy duck was born in April and I wasn't sure if she was going to lay eggs this year due to the fact of her age and the cold weather coming around the time that she would start laying eggs. I read that Muscovy ducks lay eggs until October or November. Well I got lucky and she actually laid her first egg yesterday and her second today. My question is because it's getting cold and it's her first clutch, once the clutch is done being laid will she sit on them? Or is it going to be too cold for her to do that? I don't know if they sit on them this late in the year I'm still learning about muscovies but loving them so far. ❤️❤️ So I wasn't sure if I should just take them from her or if she's going to sit on them once they're all laid.

Where are you located? I doubt she will go broody this late in the season.
We are in northern Arizona, Chino Valley. Right now the morning temperatures are in the low thirties we had 2 nights where it got down to 19 degrees however but right now the low at night is around low 30s and the high is between 60 and 70 during the day.

My Daisy duck was born in April and I wasn't sure if she was going to lay eggs this year due to the fact of her age and the cold weather coming around the time that she would start laying eggs. I read that Muscovy ducks lay eggs until October or November. Well I got lucky and she actually laid her first egg yesterday and her second today. My question is because it's getting cold and it's her first clutch, once the clutch is done being laid will she sit on them? Or is it going to be too cold for her to do that? I don't know if they sit on them this late in the year I'm still learning about muscovies but loving them so far. ❤️❤️ So I wasn't sure if I should just take them from her or if she's going to sit on them once they're all laid.
Ends up a lady at church has a whole bunch of muscovies and she said her females will sit on them at this time of year where we are located but sometimes they won't. Apparently the mother uses discretion about food sources and cold weather.

Collect these first eggs. They will be smaller than the eggs laid a few weeks from now, but tend to have the same amount of shell that would be needed to cover a full sized egg. The thick shell makes it harder for these eggs to hatch.

Add light to the duck house 5 extra hours split between after dusk and before dawn. PATOS and I YodaBat laid all winter. Our winters are similar to the Pacific Nortwest only we are in the Pacific Southewest same latitude only south of the equator.

Collect these first eggs. They will be smaller than the eggs laid a few weeks from now, but tend to have the same amount of shell that would be needed to cover a full sized egg. The thick shell makes it harder for these eggs to hatch.
Thank you for that. I did hear that the first eggs will be smaller since it's her first batch but I didn't know about it having the same amount of shell and harder to hatch. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom