1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Daisy laid her egg outside of her nest

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by StephMagee, Nov 20, 2014.

1. StephMagee

StephMagee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Bradford,Pa
    Daisy laid her egg outside of her nest. She doesn't sit on her eggs so I started saving her eggs for the neighbors. I've read that when she doesn't lay them in the best it's a bad egg. So does that mean you can't eat them? Or just an egg that wasn't fertile to where it would hatch? Don't want to give my neighbors bad eggs!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Sounds like she is just not broody.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Ducks lay where ever they want to sometimes, So most likely it is a good egg she just laid it where she wanted to. I've had some lay in the pool too usually when they first start laying they will lay outside of the house just about anywhere, If she is a new layer leave an egg in her nest to encourage her to lay there she'll learn eventually.

4. StephMagee

Jun 9, 2014
    Bradford,Pa
    Thanks! I will go ahead and give it to my neighbor then! She's been laying for a few months now. Her first egg came in June or July. She usually lays them in her nest unless they are soft, then she lays them by the pond. But this one was by her nest, just not in it so wasn't sure!

5. Duckee

Duckee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    My rouen duck started laying in early October. She dropped those eggs any place you could imagine! i set up a nest & just kept putting the newest egg in there. She finally is using the box to lay after 6-7 weeks. she only sits on them at night. I'm thinking it's too cold now & maybe she is waiting for spring to go broody...by then she should be a pro :D

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    As long as it's not been laying in the mud or frozen and is fresh it should be fine. They are the best eggs for baking.

1 person likes this.
  7. StephMagee

Jun 9, 2014
    Bradford,Pa
    I have Pekin ducks. She never say on her eggs. She only sits at night. But Pekin ducks are known to be bad sitters. I started taking the eggs out a few days ago. I don't want her to start sitting now. It's getting too cold. But over the summer we would leave a few eggs in the best incase she decided to sit.

8. StephMagee

Jun 9, 2014
    Bradford,Pa
    It wasn't in the mud or anything. So from your advice I'm going to go ahead and give it to the neighbors. I know this might sound silly, but I can't bring myself to eat her eggs knowing they could be her babies if she sat on them. Lol

9. StephMagee

Jun 9, 2014
    Bradford,Pa
    No she's not! She doesn't have anything to do with the egg once she lays it.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's up to you of course but UNTIL she sits on them they will not become babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by