Daisy Mae's neck issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 16 paws, Jan 3, 2014.

1. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone, Can anyone help me? My hen has been having some bleeding at her neck. We had noticed the rooster being really mean and pinning her down. She does not like it and always tries to get away. I put the rooster in a coop all by himself and let Daisy stay with the rest of the flock. I have never seen any of the other roosters bother her at all. They are bantams, one polish and one bantam cochin.
    Well, after a couple days it looks bad again. I sprayed blu cote on it but she seems to be molting also and her feathers look weird. I dont know if one of the girls is picking on her or what? I have 20 chickens all together.It looked like it started to heal and now today it looks like part of her skin is missing. Should I put her in the other coop by herself? Here is a picture of her. She is about a 16 months old I believe. I dont know if I should get rid of the rooster. Daisy is the only one that has had this issue.
    Thanks for any help
    Marie[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When they are molting, they can be easy targets for getting pecked. I would clean it off with some antibacterial cleaner and then apply Neosporin or another antibiotic ointment. I would try taking a piece of polarfleece and cutting it into a large pear shape. Make 2 slits toward the top for the wings1 1/2-2 inches long. This would be just like a hen apron or saddle, except no elastic bands are needed--just slip the wings into the openings and trim off any excess. You may have to try one first then the second one may fit. Make sure the top comes over her wound. The others will be scared of her at first, but they will usually settle down, especially if you put it on her at bedtime on the roost.

3. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the advice Eggcessive,
    I took Trousers (the rooster) out of the isolation coop and put Daisy in there but she is not happy without her flock mates. I think I will try your idea of the fleece. I thought I would keep her isolated until she heals up but I am also aware she may lose her pecking order, not sure where she is on the list but I think she is rather low anyway because she is so mellow and friendly to everyone. I will get some fleece and try it. I dont really see the others pecking her but someone is doing something!
    Happy New Year
    Marie

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    An old polarfleece or old sweatshirt cut up will work, but the polarfleece is stretchy.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by