Daisy's Toe: Update post 9

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smokeykk, May 16, 2011.

1. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] I am so upset right now, One of my older PR chicks jumped and landed on my silkie chick. Now the silkie chick isn't walking on one foot and it looks like it has a broken toe! Please help. What do I do????????????? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Not much you can do. No skin broken, so no infections. Give her time to heal, without grief from the other chicks.

3. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    I've seen some posts where folks have used little home made braces and such to straighten legs, etc. I'm sure someone will have a suggestion of what to do for you little fuzzy butt, I can't imagine this is the first time this forum has seen this kind of injury. I did a couple of searches but didn't find anything immediatly that would help... I'll keep looking and if I find something I'll be back. Good luck!

4. smokeykk

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks, i guess i m just stressed since this is the first time i've had chicks, and nothing has gone wrong until now! Arghhhh I feel so responible for this because i was holding the other chick when it jumped out of my hand! [​IMG]

5. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Quote:I have read on some posts where people use bandaids to make splints for them. Could you try that? Hope the little guy gets better! [​IMG]

6. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Accidents happen and I know how you fill. Hope someone helps you here. [​IMG]

7. smokeykk

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    She seems ok, the toe looks weird but, other than that she is content, laying down under the heat lamp. I hope it isn't broken and it just hurt her [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingChicks.html
    If
    you scroll down you will see a splint you can make.

I too have dealt with a silkie toe injury. I splinted it with cardboard and kept her in a dog carrier for a few hours. Then I took it all off and let her back outside.

I don't know how long to leave it on if you do decide to splint. I wasn't sure it was broken with mine.

It is definitely best if you make it so that she has easy access to food and water, and if anyone picks on her separate her so she can heal (although she will be lonely, so if she has a friend who won't pick on her, you can put her with her).

9. smokeykk

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Update: she seems to be doing ok, I couldn't make a splint so am just giving her physical therapy, making her walk a little. She was limping pretty bad yesterday, she seems to be better today. [​IMG] That this is just a sprain

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by