Daizy Here!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Daizy, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Daizy

Daizy New Egg

Mar 13, 2013
    Hello Everyone,
    I just recently joined this forum. My husband and I are in the process of wanting to get ducks.
    We had three pet ducks when we lived up in Massachusetts and had to part with them when we moved to Tn. We loved having the ducks!!
    Ive had folks tell us to get chickens instead. But honestly, Im not a chicken person. I love the ducks!! I think they have so much personality! The ones we had was Everett (Blue Swedish Cayuga cross) Pete and Delmar (mallards). Delmar turned out to be a hen, so we changed her name to Daisy. :) Pete use to follow me EVERYWHERE!! And I loved them!

We are still planning out our duck pen. Right now we are planning on having it in behind our house. We are on a half acre and our house sits more to the back and the corner of the property. So we are going to put up a fence between the corner of our house and shed and another fence from the back of the house to our six foot stockade fence that seperates us from the neighbors behind us. It will give the ducks an area of 20 feet x about 30 feet. Inside that space we will build a little duck house.

Our plan is to have 4-6 ducks. They will be strictly pets and also use the eggs for baking. We are looking at Blue Swedish and perhaps Welsh Harliquins. I loved my mallards but I dont know if I want ones that can fly. And the Welsh harliquins looked really pretty. Hubby doesn't like the runners. Although I think they are hilarious when they do run!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] glad to have you and sounds like 2 very nice breeds you have chosen.

3. Nyssa03

Nyssa03 Chillin' With My Peeps

welcome to byc - sound like you have a good plan so far!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by