1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dallas/Fort Worth?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Poulets De Cajun, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

How many members are there from Dallas/Fort worth?

2. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I am! [​IMG] Ponder to be exact

3. Weasleymum

Weasleymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    Well I'm in Virginia now, but DFW is my hometown! I grew up in Richardson.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:And I bet you like Harry Potter too huh? Is that where the Weasly came from?

5. crait

crait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    I have a lot of family in DFW and I lived there a good portion of my life. I moved to the Austin area though.

6. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    In Brownwood area now (May to be exact) but grew up in Fort Worth(Some days I miss Cowtown, then I walk out to feed the cows here and wonder "why?") [​IMG]

7. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    I currently live in Grand Prairie, suburb of Dallas, but our farm is in Hubbard, Tx, whiing ch is where we hope to have the chickens one day.

Currently, we are chicken-less...a little afraid of local laws and troublesome neighbors. But I am trying to learn all I can so I am ready when we move to the farm.

Mostly, I'm trying to learn which breed will be the best for our purposes, a good dual purpose breed for free-range and that will earn us some income and still be able to take the tremendous Texas heat on our basically treeless farm.

Connie

8. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Spent most of my childhood in Highland Park . . . I am soooo happy to have left it, but I understand how other people can like that area.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  9. OldHippieChick

OldHippieChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm an outlaw urban chicken farmer in Fort Worth. I guess my neighbors are pretty cool or pretty dumb about the local laws? I can sure see why there's so much confusion about it. I got 3 different answers from the city on the chicken code... one yes as long as their coop is 25 ft from every other neighbors house, another said yes as long as they are 50' from ALL houses including my own, and one said "I don't know. I'll have to call my supervisor". Turns out it was the 50' from everyone rule but I already had the coop and birds.

From what I've read, the marans are pretty heat tolerant. I have one sex link and three marans. The farmer told me he didn't loose any chickens the last two years due to heat. He said his secret is to give em some cold watermelon every day. My girls got an assortment of whatever was on sale through the heat. And I cut out the corn when it was so hot.

10. Blair75214

Blair75214 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Ok so I'm new to this, so I might be wrong, but is this thread 4 years old? Anyone still in Dallas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by