Dallas/Ft. Worth chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Inspector Rick, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Inspector Rick

Inspector Rick New Egg

Apr 10, 2012
    I'm somewhat of an amature... First winter with chickens. I have five (soon to be eight this spring). I'm in the d/fw area. I built a really good coop. If you live here you know it has not been cold yet. What do i do about closing some of the vents (to keep the coop warmer)?. My coop has two windows and vents at the roof of the coop. I have closed one of the windows by about 70% (it faces South). I don't see freezing temps in at least 10 days. Would the chicks survive with the windows all open? my coop is 4x6 with a run about 75 sf. we let them free-range in our backyard from about 2:00pm until they decide to go in for the night. Please help!! I am interested in talking to others from the metroplex!!!

2. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    [​IMG]

I'm north of you about 5 hrs. Here's my coop, 2 south facing windows and a pop door that stays open 24/7. I only close the windows if the rain is out of the south or it's down in the 20s at night. I don't normally ever close the pop door. There are vents around the top of the coop, never closed because of humidity, and while the coop is good shelter, I wouldn't say it's completely tight. I've been raising chickens in it for about 5 years now and the only time I've had any trouble at all was during the really miserable ice storm in 2008. I had a couple get frosted combs, but didn't lose any to the cold temps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by