dalmatians?--

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by dinahmoe, Dec 29, 2009.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    are there any dalmatian breeders in or close to georgia?i plan on possibly getting one this spring but they are hard to find.yes i have done my research on this breed and i still want one.lol

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    LOL i had one and it was so bad I put it to sleep at eight months old. Hope you get a good one. This one was from one of the top show breeders in the nation. She was so bad tempered that by eight months I though she was like a loaded gun waiting to go off at any time, any place and bite someone. Her mom and dad were nice though... go figure. When the vet walked in to do the deed, he saw a GORGEOUS dog standing there on the table, and was shocked I wanted to put her down. He asked was I sure I wanted to do this? I said yes, and choked back the tears. He took two more steps across the room, and her reaction was all it took. He said "Never mind" and put her down without another word.... too sad.

3. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:i am so sorry you had to go thru that..i am a retired vet tech and have seen my share of euthanasias because of aggressiveness.i understand but it is still hard at such a young age.i have only met a few dalmations and it is about half and half on the temperaments.do you have or remember her bloodline(i might not want to get that cross.)i used to dogsit one and she was amazing.i would love to get one like her.

4. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Oh man, that is terrible but you did the right thing!

dinahmoe, I have trained several Dals and you want to be very very careful interviewing breeders.

5. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Oh man, that is terrible but you did the right thing!

dinahmoe, I have trained several Dals and you want to be very very careful interviewing breeders.

thanks,i will.that is if i find any.​

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Yes, I do remember she was Croatia breeding on the bottom. Her dad was Harley, who belonged to the president of the Dalmatian club at the time. The litter was linebred Fireman's Freckled Friend, which is NOT intended to take anything from that line, as many fine dogs have come from it. Her dam was Gypsey Rose Lee of Croatia, and the problem seems to have come from the dams bottom side of the pedigree. Instead of decreasing over generations, it seemed to intensify over three generations, with a bad spike on this generation...

Please, any dal lover, I am not downing the breed or Fireman's Freckled Friend, or Harley, or Croatia Kennels. Just saying what happened in this exact case, with this exact dog, and not to generalize it to the whole breed, but just be aware of it and steer clear of ANYTHING that is not 100% family friendly and laid back is all.

7. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    What made it extra hard for me was I had already entered her in the National Specialty Futurity, rented crate space, hired a handler, alll the whole nine yards... The breeder was kind of taken aback when I put her down, but somewhat reluctantly said, "I guess you did what you had to do." I think they REALLY wanted to have their dog represented at the Nationals... I expected more support from the breeder.

I think I misstated the pedigree. The GRANDDAM of the ill natured young'un was Gypsey Rose Lee of Croatia, and she was bred to Harley. THAT resulted in a tight line bred FFF litter, from which came the mother of the ill natured young'n. The sire of the ill natured young'un also had FFF in his pedigree not too far back, grandsire I think. Got lots of Fireman, lots of Freckles, but no so much on the "Friend" part... Hey, you never know, do you?

Edited because it has been a couple decades and it took a while for my feeble mind to remember the pedigree. I don't have it at my fingertips.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  9. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I used to go to training classes with a couple of Dal breeders. They had wonderful dogs, no children, the dogs were their kids and were very well tempered. They had black and liver. However they have waaaayyyyyy to much energy for me!! At the time, they were telling me that Dals were the number one purebred being dumped in shelters and rescue due to their high energy!

10. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    please keep the info coming.i am taking it all in .i am not jumping in this blind.i would just like to here from people who have actually owned them.

like i said before i am a retired vet tech of 15 years and have seen and handled alot of different breeds and personalities.i am in no way saying i know everything thats why i want your input as well.i don't mind the protectiveness just not the pure aggression.i rescued a 5 yo catahoula(who at the time growled at me)but was about to be put down.we worked together and she was a terrific dog.she hated men,especially baseball caps(i think she got beat with one).she was a dominant dog but manageable.she died 2 years ago.

as far as the energy,i am a stay at home mom with a 70 acre farm,so that shouldn't be a problem.i currently have 2 heelers with lots of energy and they are also head strong.

onthespot-thanks for the pedigree info.i don't think you are judging any dog or breeder,just your dog,which good breeders SHOULD want to know this.each dog is different but if there were more pups like yours,something should change.

i will check out the club info but i would think they would be biased.

are dalmations intelligent dogs?by that i mean i have heelers(my husband had a border collie) and they know what i want without me saying anything.they are scary smart.i have some friends who have dogs(not naming breeds)and they are dumb as rocks.i know breeds are bred to do certain things but some do nothing else-example-a coonhound is a great hunter but thats about it.(i love coonhounds).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by