1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Damaged Air cell, but movement (video!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sphinx, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I have some shipped eggs that are 7 days along in incubation. Most have weird air cells. Here's two pictures of the same egg, but from different angles:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have a 15 second video of that same egg, and you can see movement inside.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v287/wendywr/chickens/?action=view&current=605185e8.mp4

Does this chick have a chance of actually hatching? What advice do you have for me?

I'm using a brinsea mini advance, so tipping it more upright isn't really an option that I can see. If I'm wrong, please explain how that can be done, and type slowly, I'm still inexperienced.

2. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    there is a thread just about this. I'll try to find it.

3. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    this is on the geese forum but not sure why it wouldn't work for you. As far as tipping it, you could cut out a ring from an egg carton cut the bottom part out of where the egg sits leaving a ring near the center or use those paper rings that come with easter eggs.

I have never done this or know what to tell you. I hope the thread is helpful cause I know how hard it can be to find the right thread with searches spent the last 24 hours doing it regarding a different problem.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=501034

Good Luck

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Movement is a good thing! The key is to boost your humidity at lockdown, but not before.

5. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Thanks for the link, Kizanne, I appreciate it.

I've kept humidity around 35%, sometimes up to 40%, but never more.

6. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    So in reading that geese advice, I'm wondering if I should cut out invidual egg cartons so that each of my eggs in my brinsea are more upright. Then turn off automatic turning, and somehow tilt each egg instead of the traditional turning that the mini advance does.

Has anyone ever done this?

I really wish I could hear more stories of what someone has done.

7. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    I've had chicks hatch out from eggs with detached air cells...though not many. Oh, and my turner works full time until I transfer for lockdown; though this probably could cause damage to the embryo. I would defer to others whether to turn, or not to turn.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  8. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I just can't decide if I should mess with all of the automatic stuff with Brinsea. I trust their mini advance turning more than myself- I'm definitely not very experienced, and I'm sure they've done a lot of research. Also, I worry that the incubator is so small, it's designed for them to be on their sides, and it may mess with temps (be too high) if I tip them more upright. We have a fancy thermometer, and from that, I've learned that the level where the eggs are supposed to be is dead on- 99.5. However, if I put the wire a little higher, where the top of the egg would be if I tipped them more upright, it's a bit higher (around 101 or so), and I'm afraid that will either kill the chick or cause deformities.

I am really anxious for these little guys to hatch and don't want to mess it up.

9. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    SPHINX what ever happened to this egg(s)...? pm if you want or respond here.

Thanks

Melissa~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by